The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read.
-- Winston Churchill
While the S&P 500
(INDEXSP:.INX) closed at yet another all-time high yesterday, risk-off behavior was prevalent.
1. Long-duration yields moved sharply lower and the 30-year bond finished higher by 0.71%, outperforming the S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) which finished higher by 0.57%. Bond yields peaked back in August and have not been confirming the recent stock market highs and improving global growth thesis.
2. Small caps (NYSEARCA:IWM) underperformed the S&P 500 by -0.31%. Small cap relative strength peaked in late September and has not confirmed the recent S&P 500 highs.
3. Crude (NYSEARCA:USO) finished sharply lower by -1.4%, closing below its 200-day moving average. Like bond yields, crude peaked back in August.
4. Gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished higher by almost 2%, significantly outperforming the S&P 500. Copper (NYSEARCA:JJC) underperformed gold by -0.84%.
5. Defensive sectors outperformed. The cyclical consumer discretionary sector (NYSEARCA:XLY) underperformed the defensive consumer staples sector (NYSEARCA:XLP) by 0.59%.
6. The VIX
(INDEXCBOE:VIX) finished higher on the day, the
second day in a row it closed higher with the S&P. The last time both closed higher for two days in a row was a day before the September short-term peak.
7. We saw reversals in a number of momentum names. The most notable was Netflix
(NASDAQ:NFLX), which gapped higher at the open by over 9% and sharply reversed to finish the day down over -9%.
8. High-yield bonds (NYSEARCA:HYG) underperformed investment-grade bonds (NYSEARCA:LQD) by -0.31%. This ratio peaked in September and has yet to confirm the recent S&P 500 highs.
In a normal market environment, this type of risk-off behavior amid new highs would often precede corrections. While I know 2013 is different and the honey badger US stock market doesn’t care about divergences, at the very least it should be clear that the risks are elevated here. My firm's models that are used for managing our mutual fund and separate accounts are currently in long duration bonds on risk-off behavior.
Badger on vacation, or disappeared for good?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
This writing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation regarding any securities transaction, or as an offer to provide advisory or other services by Pension Partners, LLC in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation, purchase or sale would be unlawful under the securities laws of such jurisdiction. The information contained in this writing should not be construed as financial or investment advice on any subject matter. Pension Partners, LLC expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken based on any or all of the information on this writing.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.