Random Thoughts: Life and Death on Wall and Broad
We used to play for silver, now we play for life.
- Just when you thought the world's wildest reality show couldn't get any better, I'll draw your attention to the S&P (INDEXSP:.INX) trend channel that's been in place since the spring low.
- If we break here-and note there was already one false breakdown earlier this year-a technical picture points toward Nasdaq (INDEXNASDAQ:NDX) 1350, as shown on the chart below.
- Emotional markets are whippy markets; you don't have to see it, you just have to respect that it's in motion. And remember, my friends, emotion is the enemy when trading!
- Q4. Get used to saying it. It will define the year for a lotta folks, and I'm not just talking money. Social moods and risk appetites shape financial markets. It is that simple, or it was until the Grand Experiment began.
Was this week's slippage a healthy retracement-and we bounced right where we had to-or was yesterday a pause that lent credence to the "denial" phase of the bear case?
I entered today's session with Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) (bought yesterday on the Buzz at $20 and a stop below recent lows), I have some NDX December out-of-the-money puts (bought when the underlying was trading at QQQ (NASDAQ:QQQ) $68.30) and I nibbled on a snivlet of Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) puts yesterday with the stock trading around $760).
In other words, I'm playing the alpha with some gamma and rocking to the beat of the steady drip of theta.
Αν αυτ? ε?ναι ?λληνες να σαςIf that's Greek to you, check out this six-part series on derivatives written by one of the best option minds to ever play the game.
There is gonna be a fair amount of volatility coming our way-way more than a VXO (^VXO) 14 would seemingly indicate.
Oh come on, take a free two-week trial to the Buzz. It's awesome, and it's our best actionable trading content in real-time.
We've secured the same bands for Festivus 2012 to benefit The Ruby Peck Foundation for Children's Education. If you like Journey or U2-or helping less fortunate children-this is the gig for you! Please join us in giving back and have a great time doing it!
- Have a great weekend; you most certainly earned it!
Follow Todd and over 30 professional traders as they share their ideas in real-time with a FREE 14 day trial to Buzz & Banter.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter