Randoms: Get Ready for FASB!
A game changer awaits.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter (click for a free trial). It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Where We Were and Where We're Going and Married to the Mob.
For the pencil pushers in our midst, the FASB webcast will begin tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM EST and Minyans can follow the process here. The handouts that are distributed to the audience will be posted to the FASB website thirty minutes after the meeting starts.
In udder market vibage:
- Keep an eye on Wells Fargo (WFC), which has been rollin' rollin' rollin' in the last half hour.
- My FAS position was stopped out at $5.69. One could argue that my stop was too tight but I've learned never to lament when the last line is green. Plus, if I so desire, I can always reinitiate my risk. That's the beauty--and beast--of this business.
- Tape tells? Breadth is 2:1 positive, the dollar is marginally higher (not a headwind, yet) and beta (ex-Baidu (BIDU)) continues to trade with a bid.
- Additionally, the two potentially positive elements to today's tape are quarter-start (relaxed risk grip by fund managers) and, obviously, tomorrow's FASB announcement, which could be a game changer in the near-term. The unknown, of course, is Friday's Breakfast with Beeks, which will surely turn those machines back on!
- I can't begin to tell you how many people called to offer mazel on my faux-marriage April Fools joke. Jeff Saut lobbed some love from Florida, my mom sent me a panicked email (someone alerted her that her son eloped) and my inbox is fuller than Kevin Wassong following one of his famous meals!
- Stamp a ticket! For the first time in 38 years, six months have passed without an IPO of a venture backed company. Keep this on ye radar but also remember that the leaders coming out of a crisis are never the same as those that enter it. There are most certainly new leaders in our midst, some of which are right under our nose.
- Finally, in the interest of forthright disclosure, I'm outie on Friday as I head to Boca for an important business meld and, while there, will be logging some quality vibe time with my beloved grandmother. As Pep, Woo, Smita and Fil are also out--and payrolls are on tap--we'll humbly ask for your understanding as we build upon The Critter Express.
- Many kind thanks, we hope this finds you well and, heck, here's some old school Neil to get us over the Hump.
In memory of our fallen friend and trusted colleague, Bennet Sedacca, 100% of the donations made to the RP Foundation through April will be channeled to philanthropic endeavors consistent with the RP mission, working closely with the Sedacca clan in the distribution of those funds. We thank you kindly for your support as we strive to effect positive change in the lives of children.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter