Answers: A Yen for History?
By Todd Harrison Sep 22, 2009 8:10 am
Watching the past as a prologue to the present.
- Are we witnessing business cycles on steroids with regard to time and price?
- Or have we again messed with Mother Nature?
- Is the greatest trick deflation ever pulled convincing the world it doesn't exist?
- Will a "mark up" into quarter-end self-fulfill or is that what they want us to think?
- JaMarcus Russell: Lost cause or the comeback story of the year?
- Can equities leg higher without serious slippage in the US dollar?
- Can that happen given the extremely bearish sentiment surrounding the greenback?
- Did you know the Nikkei rallied 20% or more six times -- and 50% or more four times -- since the secular bear market began in 1990?
- And yet the index is down 74% since then?
- How many of those rallies do you think were labeled "new bull markets" by pundits at the time?
- I would venture to guess "most," right?
- Which part of "steep" as it relates to the decline in commercial real estate doesn't compute?
- If you've been chilly on your market feel (hand raised), does dear prudence dictate taking a step back and a fresh look?
- Remember when markets used to be free?
- Are there really only three more chapters left in (the online version of) Memoirs?
- Will the four lower highs on the short-term S&P chart make it through the opening print?
- How do you shoot the devil in the back; what if you miss?
- So, is this the pot paying the kettle back?
- Why can't I shake the image of one of those shell games on a NYC corner?
- If Amazon (AMZN) and Research in Motion (RIMM) are flattish in the face of higher futures, does that imply some stealth supply?
- Why not commingle your holiday party into ours and help a slew of kids at the same time? (Click here for more details.)
- Is there anything wrong with a little old school Kool Moe Dee on our time?
- What have we learned?
- If you're of the view that the market will rip (as performance anxiety manifests) or melt (the proverbial trap door) into year-end -- but can't figure out which way the sword will swing -- why not set up some gamma and remove guesswork from the equation?
- Does the axiom "the longer stochastic indicators stay twisted (either way), the more powerful the corrective move will be" still hold true?
- Billy Joel or Elton John?
- If the Financial Accounting Standards Board could unravel this market, how strong are the underlying fundamentals?
- What if "excess breeds excess" applies to the duration -- rather than the depth -- of societal largesse?
- Remember how silly it felt to buy 'em in March?
- If you can't wait until December for the annual Minyanville Festivus, why not join us on October 22nd for the Right to Rock Celebration at BB Kings?
- Have you seen this perspective on the tech sector as the four-letter freaks continue to dance?
- Will you have a seat when the music stops?
- How many years have I been scribing vibe now?
- And perhaps the most important question of the week -- are you enjoying the journey?
Positions in S&P, NDX
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter