Random Thoughts: There's a Sale at (for) Pennies!
What are today's levels telling you?
Watch For Sale! Jon Varvatos Cashmere Hoodie For Sale! Cat for Sale! - 1:26 pm
I've experienced my fair share of panics--LTCM, Thai Baht, Dot.com--and, although none of us have experienced this before, I can say with confidence that emotional decisions have a way of coming back to bite you in the arse. That's not to say we should hope--that's not a viable investment vehicle--but lucidity is our friend as we edge through this mend.
What's going on inside my crowded keppe? Among other things, the following:
- Demi Moore top-ticked in Ghost.
Good traders know how to make money, great traders know how to take a loss.
Bad times define good friends just like bad seasons define good fans.
We'll most certainly see a sharp rally attempt today but will any sticky green substance have to wait till Turnaround Tuesday?
Technical analysis, by definition, breaks during a market crash.
NYSE internals? 3113 red for every 98 ahead. In all my years trading, I've never seen it that lopsided.
Dry powder was made for days like today but alas, so was discipline. The balance between those two, in my view, will define our success.
I've got two legs in my bull costume (50% conviction on the long side). If the best fades are the toughest fades, I'm in good shape (gulp).
On the upside, the Maven is coming to town next month for her 88th. No matter what happens, they can't take that away from us.
Engine Room, More Scream!
Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 1:47 pm
- Is it bullish that we're 35% from the October high?
- Or bearish that we're 35% above the 2002 low?
- Is it bullish that some well known pundits are screaming "guns and butter" as they've done at previous lows?
- Or bearish that folks continue to trot out on TV trying to call a bottom?
- Is it bullish that there are 87 advancing stocks out of 3210 issues?
- Or do technicals not work during market crashes?
- Where is the "lower crude is bullish for equities" crowd?
- Have we established a cycle high for the VXO?
- Or is Bachman Turner Overdrive on deck?
- Do you see the underlying bid in Campbell Soup (CPB)?
- Or, the udder way, the supply in Sun Trust (STI) or National City (NCC)?
- Rally during contra-hour (2:00-3:00 EST) followed by heavy close (redemptions) following by a coordinated rate cut induced Turnaround Tuesday?
- Or is that just what they want us to think?
- Are you viewing obstacles as opportunities are skating on your heels with your back to the net?
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter