Giving Thanks: Gratitude is Latitude
Take a moment to count your blessings and find perspective.
The greatest wisdom is bred as a function of pain. Given the painful strain of 2008, it's apropos that we together share the wisdom of gratitude.
It should never take something bad to make you realize you've got it good. I learned that lesson the hard way and while staring into the abyss is never easy, it shifts perspective and shapes experience.
Everything happens for a reason- even if we don't understand "why"-and time is the arbiter of fate, financial or otherwise.
As such, with Thanksgiving upon us, I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the bounty of my many blessings:
- I'm thankful that Ruby still guides me.
- I'm thankful that my grandmother still shares an occasional margarita with her favorite grandson at the age of 88.
- I'm thankful that my mother is the mother that she is.
- I'm thankful for my failures, for they shaped who I am today.
- I'm thankful that my brother Adam and that his family is healthy.
- I'm thankful that my dad is still chugging along.
- I'm thankful for the perspective that 9/11 provided.
- I'm thankful for the tireless work of everyone at MVHQ, as the definition of professional nirvana is to do what you love with people you respect while serving the greater good.
- I'm thankful for Kevin Wassong, my very best friend since the first day of my freshman year at Syracuse and, save Ruby, the best man I've ever met.
- I'm thankful for Charlie Mangano, Tom Eggers, Len Spivak and the insanely talented human capital on the Minyanville Advisory Board.
- I'm thankful that my grandfather's good name is honored through our work at The Ruby Peck Foundation for Children's Education.
- I'm thankful for all ye faithful who are joining us at next week's sold out Festivus to celebrate life and help the healers, leaders, teachers and dreamers of tomorrow.
- I'm thankful that our editorial team cares about the integrity and credibility of the Minyan voice as much as I do.
- I'm thankful that Laurie Peterson is General Manager of Minyanville Family Media and Minyanland has helped 300,000 children understand the basic building blocks of earning, spending, saving and giving.
I'm thankful that the Minyanville Professors further our mission of financial literacy with forthright acumen and steadfast class.
- I'm thankful that our global network of Minyans helped us become the second fastest growing financial website on the planet year-over-year.
- I'm thankful for Matt Ford and his efforts to build UMV.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter