Doin' It Bloggystyle: Random Moon River
Minyanville brings together the best of what they are saying "out there" about the topics we're talking about right here.
"Just put it on Underhill's Tab"
- Barry and the Great Credit Contraction of 2007.
- Accrued Interest looks at the demand side for bonds, via Abnormal Returns.
- Hopkins alum Dave Merkel on the Five Pillars of Liquidity.
"Dr. Rosenrosen, I'm here to get to the records room."
- None too rosy Market Monitor numbers from StockBee.
- VIX is ready to top out wonders VIX and More.
- The net A/D in the S&P finished -439. Readings under -400 generally bullish the next day via Bespoke.
"Of course you've got some good grillwork there to keep out the ozone. I gotta get this thing up to 95... uh, check out the fluorocarbon output."
- Dr. Brett on traders losing confidence.
- Roger on The Quest for Yield.
- It's tongue-in-cheek but great advice from Options Addict on how to handle earnings season. Buy low and sell high.
- Although I would note ten guys get on TV per hour telling me to buy undervalued stocks and sell overvalued ones.
The Reviews Are In
- It's down to four in the Age of Love.
- Yes, the Bachelor knockoff where 30-year-old Mark Phillipousis has to choose between and then within a group of 20-somethings and a group of 40-somethings.
- Muckdog rates the contenders.
- Just wondering if, as a 40-something married to a 30-something, whether I can safely offer an opinion on this one and not have to sleep on the couch? Maybe not... I'll pass!
"Well, I'm not even sure that's a crime anymore. There've been a lot of changes in the law."
- David Stern speaks, Deadspin compiles some commentary from blogworld.
- Is Darren Rovell's theory that we should be looking at Donaghy's over/under stat correct? Here's a mathematical argument against it, courtesy of... Darren Rovell.
- Basically, Donaghy's numbers (57% overs) did not vary in a statistically meaningful way over his career numbers (51.7% Overs) given the small sample size.
- But, here is an interesting stat. Donaghy led the league in Technical Foul calls and free throw attempts. Why is that significant? An average possesion results in 1.06 pts., an average possesion where free throws are shot results in 1.5 points. Not to mention it stops the clock and adds more possesions to a game.
- And I would add his "Overs" may understate how often he or whoever he was helping may have won on the Over. What if they got the bet down early and moved the line such that their Over won, but the closing Over lost?
- Let the Joey Harrington era begin, Michael Vick not suspended. Yet. But not allowed to attend training camp.
- And here's a shocker, Tour de France pre-race favorite Alexandre Vinokourov has tested positive for blood doping. Hat tip, Dave.
- Whatever happened to those innocent days when we obsessed over the fascinating question of whether Bud Selig will follow Barry Bonds around the country to chase the record? Turns out he will.
- Here's a blind spot I'm noticing in Mainstream Sports Pundit World. They're up in arms over how leagues can punish players/refs without any of the above being convicted of anything. After all, this is America.
- OK, news flash. League commisioners have varying powers that have been accorded them though collective bargaining. All they are doing is suspending guys; they're not sending them to jail.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter