Random Thoughts: See Both Sides of the Tape
Yes, there are reasons we can rally. There are also many reasons that we can fail miserably...
- Tommy Shaw would be proud!
- I nibbled on some January S&P puts this morning, which is new and different than the odd-lot December paper left on my sheets. Just respecting the process (as we tap resistance) and trying to use price to my advantage as I roll exposure out (I hate front-month guns to the head).
- I've got some situations on the long side so I'm viewing this mostly as a hedge with some overage as a spec (which will be stopped out with a lift through this zone). Again, not going nuts as a function of my respect for the two-sided risk and time management issues.
- Mr. Practical has a way of taking the most complicated of issues and delivering them in a way Minyans can understand. Donke Shoen.
- Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
- Yes, there are reasons we can rally. There are also many reasons that we can fail miserably (technicals, fundamentals, structural (credit markets) and psychology). See both sides, Minyans, and trade with discipline over conviction.
- Market breadth is the single most bullish tell I see. S&P 1490ish is the single most bearish.
- Is it bad to offer chocolate eating challenges to MVHQ staffers? Only if I lose, I suppose. Yesterday, I offered snazzy MV Editor Christina a benji if she could eat an entire box of Godiva in five minutes and she picked my pocket but good!
- Is anyone else reminded of Ayn Rand lately?
- Everyone is talking about how quick Floyd Mayweather is but Ricky Hatton is tough... and he has heart. Never discount the heart, Minyans, it's the stuff champions are made of!
- I'm a gorilla, you clown!
- Note to all ye professors who are traveling in for tomorrow's Festivus: Mi Casa Su Casa. MVHQ will be open all day for hugs and handshakes.
- Note the laggage in Granny Goldman (GS), which is one of the more popular players at Del Boca Vista. While she has, in fact, out-performed her peers (and this could be some alleviation of that), the limpy gimp is worthy of a mention.
- We know that big beta is the most intuitive "bang for the year-end" performance anxiety buck. Along those lines, watch Google (GOOG), which is currently at recent highs. If it can push through this zone, $750 (all-time highs) becomes the next beacon in the flight.
- That Beyonce DirectTV commercial is haunting me. Upgrade, upgrade...
- Television's JeffMacke® (not to be confused with Beyonce) offers a spirited look at the Holiday trot. He also thinks Mayweather is gonna pound Hatton, so you know, and he's pretty good with that stuff.
- As always, I hope this finds you well.
Holiday Festivus is here! Come join us and support the Ruby Peck Foundation For Children's Education at an old-fashioned Southern-style hoe-down in the heart of New York City on December 7th. Click the image below to learn more!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter