Answers I Really Wanna Know: The Big Bang Theory?
By Todd Harrison Mar 10, 2009 8:45 am
Commence countdown to the mark-to-market hearings on Thursday.
- Why do I get the sense that in terms of market volatility, we ain't seen nothing yet?
- Perhaps it's the historic Toddo Sleep-O-Meter readings this week?
- The looming Ides of March?
- Or the entirely more probable Mark-to-Market hearings on Thursday that every trader on the Street is watching?
- If the government doesn't pull a rabbit from their hat, will we see white flags and black swans on either side of the weekend?
- While I've been trading from the long side into this event, does discipline dictate selling strength (and flattening my short-term pad) into this widely watched unknown? (Yes.)
- While maintaining my S&P 600 bid for 25% of my long-term nest egg in tact? (Yes.)
- Doesn't history teach us that the Great Depression caused the stock market crash and not the other way around?
- Societal acrimony? What societal acrimony?
- You call that acrimony?
- Will online brokers emerge as winners in the new world as folks yank bank from financial advisers?
- In that scenario, won't a trusted choice for a financial voice play a massive role?
- If excess breeds excess, must we respect the question: What if we're only half way there?
- Are you ready for the Beast of the East to unleash some madness?
- 20,000 jobs slashed at hedge funds?
- Have you read Professor Bennet's excellent Beatles' Guide to the Bear Market?
- Who was it that said that bear markets are littered with false hope and empty promises (cyclical bulls nestled within a secular bear)?
- Is the entire world buying higher and selling lower?
- Are you in a position to use price to your advantage?
- Should we start an M&A activity list as anecdotal evidence of bullish stirrings?
- With Merck (MRK)-Schering Plough (SGP), Rohm and Haas (ROH)-Dow Chemical (DOW) and (possibly) Roche Holding-Genentech (DNA) on the running tally?
- Have you read on the Buzz & Banter that I'm steadily peeling out of my General Electric (GE) calls?
- Why does the phrase "dancing between the elephants" keep coming to mind?
- Did I mention that a slew of casual observers (who were quick to dismiss our warnings in September) pinged on Friday to inform me they're finally "all cash"?
- Doesn't it feel like a slew of pundits were quick to call a bottom yesterday?
- How do you reconcile those two admittedly anecdotal observations?
- Have you checked out the snazzy new OptionSmith by Professor Steve Smith? Why not take a FREE trial?
- Is this chart (courtesy of BTIG uber-strategist Mike O'Rourke) a snapshot of our long-vibed Wishbone World?
- Why do loud chewers bother me so much?
- Is this a form of protectionism?
- Why aren't those crispy noodles from Chinese chicken salads used more often in other meals?
- Oh joy, North Korea put its military on standby for 'war'?
- Did someone really take my legs out while I was going up for a game winning lay-up Saturday?
- Is the rest of planet feeling what I'm seeing in NYC?
- Tommy can you hear me? Tommy? Tommy?
- Did you know yesterday was National Napping Day or did you snooze through it?
Positions in GE, SPY
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter