Stocks to Watch: Activision, Nike, Oracle
Thursday's top stories and stocks with potential to move...
Stocks to watch for Thursday, December 20, 2007:
- 3Com Corp. (COMS) reported a fiscal 2Q loss of $35.6 mln, or 9 cents a share, compared with a loss of $3.5 mln, or 1 cent a share a year ago. Sales at 3Com fell from $333 mln in the same period last year to $317.8 mln, attributed to corporate acquisition charges.
- Accenture (ACN) reported fiscal 1Q net income of $381 mln, or 60 cents a share, compared with $284 mln, or 46 cents a share a year ago. This was a 34% increase. Net revenue climbed 19% to $5.67 billion.
- Activision (ATVI) is reportedly raising its forecast for the December quarter amid strong holiday video game sales, including its "Guitar Hero" and "Call of Duty" games. Its revenue forecast is being increased to $1.375 bln, up from the prior number of $1.225 bln. Earnings are now predicted to be 76 cents a share, up from 66 cents a share.
- LDK Solar (LDK) reported 3Q net income of $41.6 mln, or 37 cents an American depository share, up significantly from $4.96 mln, or 4 cents a share a year ago. Revenue at the Chinese company increased to $158.7 mln from the year ago figure of $31.5 mln.
- Nike (NKE) said second-quarter profit rose to $359.4 million, or 71 cents a share, from $325.6 million, or 64 cents, a year earlier. Sales in the quarter ended Nov. 30 jumped to $4.34 billion from $3.82 billion.
- Oracle (ORCL) reported fiscal 2Q net income of $1.3 bln, or 25 cents a share, compared to $967 mln, or 18 cents a share a year earlier, marking a 34% increase. Revenue at the company rose to $5.3 billion from $4.16 billion.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD) expects its 4Q per share earnings to be in line with its previous estimates of between $1.02 and $1.07 excluding the Oct. 26 acquisition of OmniSource Corp. With that purchase included, per share earnings are expected to dip about 7 cents a share.
- Asian trading closed with the Hang Seng -0.05%, Nikkei +0.01%, Sensex +0.37%, Taiwan -1.96% and Shanghai +2.06%.
- A quick check towards Europe is skewed green with the CAC +0.56%, DAX +0.26%, FTSE +0.58%, ATX +0.28%, Swiss Mkt. +0.62% and Stockholm -0.17%.
- Crude oil is trading higher +0.48 to 91.72 while gold is lower -3.5 to 801.8 this morning.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter