Random Thoughts: Snapper Steps Up
Can this rally persist?
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Chicken Little Skinned? and Two Wildcards to Watch.
Gate Sniffage! - 9:42 am
- While psychology and structural are without doubt the top-tier metrics, it's worth noting that General Electric (GE) is higher on the heels of earnings.
- Then again, so was IBM (IBM) early on yesterday, from what I hear.
- Wachovia Bank (WB) is also a green bean. Meanwhile, Citigroup (C) just lost Bar Mitzvah privileges. I'll betcha a buck that this is one of the first government bank steroid injections.
- You'd rather see me in the pen than me and Lorenzo rolling in the Benz-o.
- I'm keeping that last arm dry as a function of discipline but I'm a much better buyer than seller into this, so you know. And of course, that doesn't make it right--but I hoarded powder for a reason and this is as panicky as I've ever seen it.
- Bank America (BAC). Green. $22. See it.
- Apple (AAPL). Oracle (ORCL). Dell (DELL). Google (GOOG). Qualcomm (QCOM).
- Lemme hop--I'll be back. You know I'll be back.
Be the Ball! - 10:08 am
- To Minyan Peter's excellent point, I'll offer that the greatest value proposition during an Age of Self Preservation is COMMUNITY.
- Maybe I'm talking our book but it's my belief that trust, benevolence and intelligence will trade at a premium the next few years.
- And yes, I'm quite conscious that the opposite of love isn't hate--it's apathy.
- Nobody is smarter than the market (hand raised) but I have never seen it as negative as it was this morning.
- While I'm leaving an arm free (read: trading powder) just in case (Tuesday?), I can't ever remember a time I've been more bullish for a trade than I was on the opening.
- Did someone really just say "the good news is that crude is lower?" Seriously, have we not taught folks anything?
- What's next---widespread belief that a higher dollar is equity positive?
- Does the path of maximum frustration include my NOT getting a better entry point on the FXY (Japanese Yen)?
- Fair warning--when the current chicken littles start cheering and screaming and yelling that it's clear sailing, I'm gonna pull in the reins.
- Gotta hop, Yo. Be the ball. Be a smart, lucid, forward-looking unemotional ball.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter