Random Thoughts: Snapper Steps Up
Can this rally persist?
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Chicken Little Skinned? and Two Wildcards to Watch.
Gate Sniffage! - 9:42 am
- While psychology and structural are without doubt the top-tier metrics, it's worth noting that General Electric (GE) is higher on the heels of earnings.
- Then again, so was IBM (IBM) early on yesterday, from what I hear.
- Wachovia Bank (WB) is also a green bean. Meanwhile, Citigroup (C) just lost Bar Mitzvah privileges. I'll betcha a buck that this is one of the first government bank steroid injections.
- You'd rather see me in the pen than me and Lorenzo rolling in the Benz-o.
- I'm keeping that last arm dry as a function of discipline but I'm a much better buyer than seller into this, so you know. And of course, that doesn't make it right--but I hoarded powder for a reason and this is as panicky as I've ever seen it.
- Bank America (BAC). Green. $22. See it.
- Apple (AAPL). Oracle (ORCL). Dell (DELL). Google (GOOG). Qualcomm (QCOM).
- Lemme hop--I'll be back. You know I'll be back.
Be the Ball! - 10:08 am
- To Minyan Peter's excellent point, I'll offer that the greatest value proposition during an Age of Self Preservation is COMMUNITY.
- Maybe I'm talking our book but it's my belief that trust, benevolence and intelligence will trade at a premium the next few years.
- And yes, I'm quite conscious that the opposite of love isn't hate--it's apathy.
- Nobody is smarter than the market (hand raised) but I have never seen it as negative as it was this morning.
- While I'm leaving an arm free (read: trading powder) just in case (Tuesday?), I can't ever remember a time I've been more bullish for a trade than I was on the opening.
- Did someone really just say "the good news is that crude is lower?" Seriously, have we not taught folks anything?
- What's next---widespread belief that a higher dollar is equity positive?
- Does the path of maximum frustration include my NOT getting a better entry point on the FXY (Japanese Yen)?
- Fair warning--when the current chicken littles start cheering and screaming and yelling that it's clear sailing, I'm gonna pull in the reins.
- Gotta hop, Yo. Be the ball. Be a smart, lucid, forward-looking unemotional ball.
Daily Recap Newsletter