Apple's Stuck Stock Frustration Will End With Innovation
The iPhone and iPad literally changed end markets, proving that the single greatest thing Apple can do to move the stock is continue to innovate.
It seems that everyday the blogosphere/print media and TV media is awash with mounting ideas as to how Apple (AAPL) can move the stock. I'm going to say right now that I think most of them are flat wrong.
Valuation is already crazily cheap and the company has a prodigious cash hoard. However, cash in and of itself isn't going to push a stock higher. Valuations are not going to push the stock higher -- if so the stock would have moved much more than it has.
The most frequently mentioned item for Apple to consider is a stock dividend. I for one don't think a cash dividend will do much to boost the shares -- at least not in a sustainable manner. Just see Microsoft (MSFT) as a great example of this. And a special dividend? Apple, please don't waste the cash in this manner.
The single greatest thing Apple can do to move the stock is continue to innovate, just as the iPhone and iPad literally changed end markets. Here are the chief things I believe Apple can do to help propel the stock to the $500s and beyond:
- Bring out the iPhone 5 and give the hardware a significant refresh. In actuality this is very likely well on its way. The question is how radical the redesign will be.
- Create another form factor for the iPhone 5. This could be a mini-iPhone, or maybe this is an uber-sized phone. Either way I believe this would generate a significant increase in sales -- especially a lower priced mini for the foreign markets.
- Blow users out of the water with the next iPad. In this respect, the focus should be horsepower. A quadcore, fully 4G-enabled device.
- Get to the market with an Ultrabook killer. Just as the iPad was what I termed "iNetbookkiller," I think a dual mode device (laptop and tablet in one) from Apple could be another landmark device that effectively checkmates part of the emerging Ultrabook market. And in this regard, Apple needs to address this threat as the Ultrabook market has the potential for significant share take. In my view, this would be the most powerful catalyst.
- Apple TV? There has been lots of talk regarding the potential for this product. Time will tell, but I do think this has the potential to be a significant new revenue line. However, I think the items described above have the potential for a more immediate and powerful thrust higher in the shares.
New! The TechStrat Report by Sean Udall. Sean provides in-depth analysis, strategies and trades across the technology sector. Take a FREE 14 day trial.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter