Spotlight Stocks: Applied Materials, Coca-Cola, Exxon Mobil, Genentech
Wednesday's top stories and stocks with potential to move...
Stocks to watch for Wednesday, February 13, 2008:
- Applied Materials (AMAT) reported 1Q net income of $262.4 million, or 19 cents a share, down from $403.5 million, or 29 cents a share a year ago. Revenue was $2.09 billion, down from $2.28 billion.
- Coca-Cola (KO) reported 4Q net income of $1.21 bln, or 52 cents a share, up sharply from $678 mln, or 29 cents a share a year ago. Excluding charges, Coke earned 58 cents per share. The numbers last year were hurt by a one-time charge. The company said earnings were boosted by emerging market sales, acquisitions of non-carbonated drinks including Vitaminwater, and the introduction of Coke Zero.
- Exxon Mobil (XOM) will not be receiving oil exports from Venezuela after it threatened to stop exports to the entire US two days ago. XOM recently froze its Venezuelan assets, worth about $12 bln.
- Genentech (DNA) said a Phase III study of Avastin, its breast cancer drug, increased survival of patients and did not progress the disease when used with the chemotherapy docetaxel. The FDA will vote on approval on Feb. 23.
- Blue Nile (NILE) reported 4Q net income of $7.54 million, or 45 cents a share, up from $5.75 million, or 35 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts had expected earnings of 44 cents a share excluding one-time items. The company said net sales increased to $111.9 million from $90.7 million.
- Wynn Resorts (WYNN) reported 4Q net income of $65.5 million, or 57 cents a share, compared with a loss of $55.4 million, or 55 cents a share, a year earlier. Sales at the company were $711.3 million, up from $563.6 million.
- Asian trading closed with the Hang Seng +1.08%, Nikkei +0.36%, Sensex +2.05%, Taiwan -0.04% and Shanghai -2.37%.
- A quick look towards Europe finds the CAC -0.41%, DAX -0.75%, FTSE -1.19%, ATX +0.19%, Swiss Mkt. -0.52% and Stockholm -1.42%.
- Crude oil is edging lower -0.01 to 92.77 and gold is also down -4.2 to 903.2 this morning.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter