Answers: What Does the Dollar Mean for Stocks?
The greenback dances at a critical inflection point.
- While details have yet to be released regarding the "tax increases on securities dealers and life insurance companies," isn't it tough to paint this with a bullish brush?
- Particularly following a 147% rally in the bank index?
- Do you see the dollar breaking DXY 83?
- And understand what that potentially means for asset classes?
- How much patience do foreign holders of dollar denominated assets have left?
- More importantly, how will that manifest?
- A seismic currency adjustment?
- Geopolitical strife?
- Double secret probation?
- Will the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled be a lower dollar and lower asset classes?
- Newbie Minyans-to appreciate where we are, can you please take the time to understand how we got here?
- Have you clicked through those links-and these, for that matter-as a (helpful, free and humble) guide in framing the historical juncture we're at?
- For isn't financial education a process rather than a point?
- Did our government succeed in buying the cancer and selling the car crash?
- Nothing comes for free?
- Are you watching the tick-by-tick price action in Bank America (BAC) given it's been such a super intraday tell of late?
- Are you still in the game after a 10% move either way?
- Was it a coincidence that Yahoo (YHOO) was quietly up 4% the same day Microsoft (MSFT) tapped the debt market for the first time in corporate history?
- Does your time horizon sync with your risk profile?
- When is the last time you smiled so hard that your face hurt?
- Will late-to-the-party bulls soon be channeling Marsha Marsha Marsha?
- Why do I have peppers on the brain?
- Can there be any doubt that the globalization sword swings both ways?
- Has Memorial Day snuck up on anybody else?
- Societal acrimony? What societal acrimony?
- IF you're using S&P 950 as your ursine backstop, are you allowing room for a lift to that level to set up a more advantageous (defined) risk-reward profile?
- If everyone is of the mind that any pullback will be a pause that refreshes, does that mean we either A) don't get a meaningful pause or B) the downside move will be entirely more violent than a pause?
- Did you see on yesterday's Buzz that I covered a slug of my downside market exposure with one eye on Turnaround Tuesday and the other on "letting it out" anew?
- All the while conscious that starting next Friday, I'll be enjoying my first vacation in a mighty long while?
- Are you viewing your P&L as an independent entity each trading day?
- In other words, are you conscious of the risks associated with trying to make up for lost ground with one big swing?
- Finally-and by far most importantly-are you truly grateful for what you have rather than spending your time lamenting about what you don't?
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter