Random Thoughts: Goldman, Chase Dancing in Red Dye
For first time in 17 years, I'm not trading financials.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Flat is the New Up!
Gate Sniffage! - 9:46 am
- Is the first downside probe the easy trade? Particularly with Wells Fargo (WFC), Goldman (GS) and JP Morgan (JPM) dancing in Red Dye?
- Disney (DIS) is on my longer-term laundry list as it's best in breed in the media space (please note the triple bottom at $21.25 as a technical context).
- Is it a shocker that pawn shop business is booming? We've been talking about this dynamic for some time and it's indeed in play. A special wink to JTB, a personal friend and one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
- The 1987 headlines don't help social mood or risk appetites. That'll either serve as a contrary indicator (payrolls not as bad as the whisper) or spread fear of Black Friday if this upcoming dip doesn't hold. See both sides as we find our way.
- WOOF! What a week. Lemme get this out there and I'll circle back in short order. Deep breath... we're almost there.
Vinny Chase! - 10:21 am
- Societal acrimony? What societal acrimony?
- Hello Goldman my old friend? Chatter abounds of counter-party risk at the once venerable Wall Street institution.
- I'm not involved in the financials either way, which is saying something given that I've traded them for seventeen years.
- I had an uber-small odd-lot of Yahoo (YHOO) calls on my sheets today. There's no crying in baseball and no hiding in the 'Ville so I wanted to make sure I shared that tidbit. They're held for sale, just not here, not yet.
- Show your support for the Critter Nation and wear it proud!
- White light to Minyan C-Poe's newest Mini-Minyan Wilson as he recovers from a post-birth diaphragm surgery. Perspective, Yo.
- Keep crude $60 on ye radar please.
- While you're at it, note the technical significance of S&P 900. Hold, and the 'higher low' could shift psychology. Fold, and S&P 840 will act as a beacon in the fright.
- Getting bullish higher and bearish lower is no way to go through life, son.
- And you know it don't come easy.
Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 11:43 am
- How many people are hoping this rally holds?
- If good traders know how to make money and great traders know how to take a loss, does discipline dictate moving to the sidelines on Yahoo (YHOO) given it couldn't lift with the tape? (Yes.)
- Does anyone else wanna call this game and take a long weekend?
- Y'all see the sloppy action in the homies and banks and, seeing both sides, the 2:1 positive internals?
- Have I officially hit my weekly wall?
- What's at the end of the universe?
- Does this downturn need to end with a bang rather than a whimper?
- In an age where everyone is out for themselves, isn't it nice to have a community that cares?
- Oh oh what I want to know, where does the time go?
- Will there be a fire sale in Oakland?
Did you know the doors to Festivus 2008 are officially open? Have you yet locked your spot for the critter trot as last year's soiree sold out? (This is our annual event to commingle our professors, partners and Minyans while chowing down and listening to live music. The very best part? It's for the kids in the good name of my grandfather.)
Daily Recap Newsletter