Random Thoughts: A Swing Sensation
Erratic movement continues to plague the market.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Investing in a Perfect Storm, Trading Low Vs. Market Bottom and Why Energy?
Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 12:13 pm
Was that scary enough? (I'm writing with one hand while hiding under my desk.)
- Why not commingle your holiday party with Festivus and we'll all party in the name of children? (Click here and I'll personally share more details.)
- Market breadth remained 3:1 negative during that sharp snappah?
- What's the world record for consuming a can of nuts?
- Y'all see Wal-Mart (WMT), Sears (SHLD) and Target (TGT)?
- After all, for a counter-trend bounce, don't you wanna "invert your lens" and buy the stocks that have the most intuitive reason to go lower?
- Will the higher low (vs. Friday's intra-day low) be obvious with the benefit of hindsight?
- Or did I just put the Eddie Mush on it?
- What's up Boo?
- Does anyone else feel the September 2001 deja vu or is it a function of my personal experience?
- Howard Jones or Duran Duran?
Stop the World I Wanna Get Off! - 1:46 pm
My Gawd, this is N-V-T-S nuts. I'm a card carrying risk loving free market guy but these swings are making me batty. I was batty to begin with, mind you, but I'm now somewhere between Adam West and Christian Bale (this, not that).
Some further vibage as I fantasize about my upcoming Friday Night Face Plant:
- The buyers are higher and the sellers are lower, particularly into expiration. See all sides, please, and always allow for a margin of error.
In the interest of being forthright, I'm really uncomfortable with the media coverage of my current posture as a function of humility. As we're a media company, however, we sorta gotta put it out there and risk the Eddie Mush.
Minyanville Editor Terry Woo, turning down his music, asked me if too many people are expecting the Fed to (cough) surprise us with another round of rate cuts. My response was that they're likely waiting until we get closer to expiration for maximum bang for the buck--or lower prices still.
Through objective eyes, there still seems to be forced (hedge fund) selling in the energy space and market internals (which could conceivably lag) remain 2:1 negative.
While you know my stance (in real-time, right or wrong for better or for worse), I fully understand that the cancer is bigger than the patient and yes, that worries me.
Maybe mom was right and I shoulda been a veterinarian.
How did "sowing your wild oats" come to mean what it means?
Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Now GO!
Daily Recap Newsletter