Freaky Friday Potpourri: Count De Money!
There's a fine line between the castle and the outhouse; it's called the bottom line.
Knight Jumps Queen, Bishop Jumps Queen…!
As the bulls Count De Monet and the bears grab a bucket, the question on everyone's mind is hump or death, hump or death, hump or death?
The answer seems intuitive-there's been a whole lot of lovin' of late-but there's a fine line between the castle from the outhouse; it's called the bottom line.
As it's been a long week and I'm pressed for time ahead of an early morning conference call and an afternoon taping at Forbes, I hereby invoke my poetic license for a random format.
Louis XVI was right…it is good to be the king!
Without further adieu…
- If you didn't catch "Will The Consensus Be Right?" vibe yesterday, please take a peek. It remains to be seen how the chips will fall but it was one of the more cathartic columns I've recently written.
- I can't figure out if the world has always been this screwy or if I'm now just wise enough to see it.
- Sometimes you're gonna be the windshield and other times you're gonna be the bug. The trick to the trade is not falling prey to the emotional variance of a P&L. I'm not saying I've mastered this but I'll never quit trying.
- The "other" takeaway from Mr. Practical? Confirmation on my belief that while some are bearish, few are short. That's a subtle yet important distinction.
- The toughest cusp of all is flipping from the "panic" stage of a bull phase to the "denial" maze of a bear haze.
- Who rhymes like that?
- "Total transparency" couldn't be the pin prick....could it?
- I know few things in life to be true. In no particular order:
- Bad times define good friends.
- I suffer weight inflation and hair deflation.
- The mainstream is conditioned to view pullbacks as healthy and natural and that will prove true...until it doesn't.
- The financials acted fabu yesterday and the ability to hold BKX 48ish-which is fresh acne-is on the margin bullish.
- In that realm, Bank America (BAC), Citi (C) and Goldman Sachs (GS) remain the tells du jour.
- Away from the financial fray, the master beta realm (Google (GOOG), Research in Motion (RIMM), Apple (AAPL), Baidu (BIDU), Amazon (AMZN)) are the best sentiment proxy in the marketplace as performance anxiety kicks in and funds reach for "bang for the buck" play into quarter--and, more importantly, year--end.
- Speaking of "the other side," what if the 2007 top was the middle peak of a massive "W?"
- And what if excess breeds excess, as measured by the 200-day moving average (this is important perspective).
- Does anyone else "see" improvement in the socioeconomic landscape? Anecdotal evidence littered throughout my universe is ripe with hardship, divorce and underlying tension.
- In other words, is there a palpable disconnect between what we see on our screens and what we see on the Street?
- "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
- I once had the dice in my hands for an hour and forty minutes at the Atlantis. Not sure why I'm bringing this up now, except perhaps to note that good rolls never last forever.
- Living in a rent stabilized Manhattan apartment, I've been in the same spot for the last fifteen years (it's a great deal). I recently signed a two-year extension and immediately had renter's remorse. Why? Not because I want to buy; because I've got a strong sense I won't want to be in NYC for that long.
- We're gathering with our friends from Little Kids Rock on October 22nd in NYC to party with the big man and help some kids. Please feel free to join us as we do our part to effect positive change.
- Speaking of which, this year's Festivus will be on Friday, December 4th, 2009.
- I've got loose grips on the handlebars, which is a good thing given 1) my recent experience with handlebars and 2) caution is anathema in a rising tape. I can only shake my head (side to side, slowly) as I watch the same pattern play out over and over again.
- While I'm sharing my trading thoughts and strategies with ye faithful on the Buzz & Banter all day (feel free to take a free trial) you can also follow me on Twitter for some mini thoughts and follow Minyanville as well.
Answers I Really Wanna Know...
Does Boo need to see a blow-off rally and reversal on big volume to turn this tide?
If past resistance is future support, wouldn't TRAN 3800 be an intuitive first stop?
Can you hear that?
You know... that?
The shrilling sound of performance anxiety?
Does the path of maximum frustration include a weekly close above NDX 1700?
Are we officially on the "other side" of fear yet?
"Sometimes we look far and wide for people to admire; sometimes they are very close to home." --Minyan JK
Shana Tova to those observing and while I'm at it, I'll ask for forgiveness for my wrongdoings this past year. I continue to grow, learn and experience through Minyanville and for that, I'm blessed.
May peace be with you and Go Raidahs!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter