Random Thoughts: Dipping Into the Taiwan Trade
For those following the Taiwan vibe, please see the typhoon that is heading in that direction...
- It sounds like someone is getting frisky every February 2nd!
- I like the Taiwan ketchup play and dabbled a toe for schnitz and giggles. I have a handful of puts on my sheets (some old and moldy, some new) so defined risk longs with a viable thesis makes sense.
- S&P 1555ish. That's the level of lore for critters galore. Why? Pop through and we've got acne. Fail and we've got a textbook double top.
- Monster match-up for the Spankees tonight. Big game. Huge.
- I wonder if Kit Deluca ever found a simpler and more secure life?
- Kim Jong-il in a tie-dye suddenly makes alotta sense!
- Bear Stearns (BSC) is lower on the NY Post article that highlighted Jimmy Cayne's comments yesterday at a conference saying the firm isn't for sale. Remember, this cub was trading around $115 before the Buffett rumors popped the stock and cats and dogs became best friends.
- The most bullish thing on my screen? Beta (RIMM, GOOG, BIDU) and breadth (2:1).
- The most bearish thing? Slippage in hard asset names (particularly given the lower dollar).
- The most exciting thing? Less than three hours until a weekend of baseball, football, hockey and music. If this business has made me appreciate anything it's the importance of balance and working to live rather than living to work.
- Hoofy is quick to note that last year, we had 134 S&P companies report profit warnings vs. 81 so far this reporting season.
- The S&P is up 9% this year but, shifting the measuring stick, it's up 2% in Euro terms and down 8% in Canadian dollars!
- Happy Birthday Professor Bennet Sedacca!
- Mrs. Fembot, I presume?
- For those following the Taiwan vibe, please see the typhoon that is heading in that direction.
- Have a great weekend, Minyans, and make it mindful!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter