Snowed In Stock Picks
Good day to stay in and trade.
Hello from New York where the snow is flying the schools are cancelled and my house is entombed in miasma and pre-school nose mucus. It is the mystery of parenthood that I wouldn't trade this for mornings spent in a sterile office in a million years. Here's what I'm watching as I mull ways to convert 2-year old Superfly Macke's prodigious phlegm output into renewable energy:
- I love McDonald's (MCD). McDonald's is a friend of mine and a great American company. But what scares me about my Fast Money Starbucks (SBUX) idea isn't McDonald's. It's Dunkin' Donuts.
- We had the CEO of MGM Grand (MGM) last night. Good guy, good CEO and clearly fiesty about the fact that his stock has gotten beaten up over the last 6 months. Those are all good things. What sticks me about the stock is that the vast majority of revenues are still a US story and discretionary income trend here is "problematic" to be nice.
- More evidence of discretionary income problems: How about Hertz (HTZ), General Motors (GM), pick-any hotel stock (Hotel), Safeways (SWY) comments last night... Etc. Ad nauseam.
- I can't explain it but I'm actually enthusiastic about watching the Oscars this years. I'm even 85% sure I would be if I weren't long Disney (DIS).
- Target (TGT), Home Depot (HD), Lowe's (LOW) all on deck for next week. If you're looking for a happy-go-lucky story of an economy on the Go it might be a good week to take that trip to Beijing.
- It's not Beijing but FM will be heading to Miami for next Friday's show. Why are we going just a week after Squawk Box and the Today Show? Mine is not to question why, Minyans. Judging by the Sold Out live FM last year in Silicon Valley, it should be a crazy one.
- Love the House of Phlegm though I do, this snow has me thinking it's a good night to stay in the city. Got dinner plans, Todd-O?
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter