Answers I Really Wanna Know: Is the Devil We Know Preferred to the Devil We Don't?
By Todd Harrison Sep 12, 2007 9:31 am
Is that light at the end of a tunnel an oncoming train?
- What was wrong with cured meat in the first place?
- If the S&P is 5% from an all-time high, commodities (CRB) are six percent off the August low, gold is at a 27-year high, crude is at a record high and the commercial paper market is (cough) easing, why do we need a rate cut?
- Is that light at the end of a tunnel an oncoming train?
- Why does my family insist on being the very first people to walk in the temple doors each year?
- I mean, isn't that why we bought tickets?
- Where's Alan Greenspan when we need him most?
- Y'all see the dollar breaking long-term support?
- Has anyone in the administration, Federal Reserve or Treasury publicly addressed the caveats of a lower greenback?
- Or is the devil we know (inflation) preferred to the devil we don't (deflation)?
- Why not both-with the former storm in things we need and the latter matter in things we want?
- If we toss in the specter of higher unemployment, isn't that the textbook definition of stagflation?
- By the time the economic numbers validate that (or any) condition, won't the market, as a forward looking discounting mechanism, already have priced it in?
- Do they serve cuddle fish in pairs?
- Do you have to eat them with a spoon?
- Did you see that Barclays had to inject $1.5 billion into Golden Key to bail out another ABCP vehicle (their third such rescue operation in as many weeks)?
- Is that dude in the commercial still sitting calmly at his desk playing with the hula-hoop doll?
- Did you know that the credit rating agencies have been called to
Washington for a special meeting today?
- Do you think they have that same 'pit in the stomach feeling' that we used to get as a kid called into the principal's office?
- Or is it more like the moment you realize the flashing lights in the rear-view are meant for you?
- What's worse than losing to Yale?
- "Sell hope" or "the reaction to news is more important than the news itself?"
- Speaking of which, will you been watching Texas Instruments (TXN), which traded off a deuce following their mid-quarter update last night, as a semi tell today?
- Y'all see today's episode of Hoofy and Boo's News & Views?
- Didn't Countrywide take "decisive steps on funding needs" a few weeks ago?
- So why did it need to say it again yesterday?
- Wasn't it Lawrence Jamieson who said that to cheat is French but to get caught is American?
- Are you watching pennant formation in the S&P?
- Don't pennants tend to "resolve" the direction of the preceding trend?
- With all the chatter about what a "disaster" the credit markets are, is anyone else surprised that the TLT (i-Shares Lehman 20+YR Treasury) is up over 6% compared to the 4% gain in the S&P?
- How much of yesterday's lethargic action in Goldman was "telling" vs. the rest of the tape playing upside ketchup from the day before?
- Pearls? With corduroy? Are you mad?
- When are we putting him in, Coach?
- Consistent with my desire to leg (out of October S&P puts) into year-end paper, did you see that I bought a (very) small schnitzel of the latter into yesterday's lift?
- As I'll be out-of-pocket and away from the 'Ville until next Wednesday, can I take a moment to wish ye faithful well and-for those observing-a very sweet new year?
- Isn't there a law about choking your chicken in public?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter