Buzz Bits: Dow, Nasdaq In The Green
Your daily Buzz & Banter highlights...
Editor's Note: This is a small sample of the content available on the Buzz and Banter.
Bell Buzz- Todd Harrison- 12:47 PM
- Keep an eye on Apple (AAPL) as it quietly probes an all-time high.
Click here to enlarge
- This was a prime candidate for a "sell the news," given the incessant hype, but the euphoria continues. Telling?
- Or is the master beta money simply rotating out of the RIMMs and BIDUs of the world into their less-extended brethren?
- Call me old-fashioned, grumpy or simply disciplined, but until the BKX can mount the 115.50-1160 zone, I still think Boo deserves some respect. As go the piggies, so goes the tape. This we know and this will show.
- It really is quieter than a mouse pffft out there. Heck, it's been so long since I've worked during the 4th of July week, I forgot what it's like(I can hear the MVHQ violins all the way from my office!).
- The back half of 2007 will be exciting for the critter mission. We've got the site refresh (next few weeks), some major deals in the works, The Exchage, MV Kids, new professors, Buzz 3.0, MVTV and new product offerings. A little something for everyone, as we say, without losing sight of how we got here in the first place.
- Thanks, as always, for your continued support and we'll see you on the other side of the holiday fray. May peace be with you and, in memory of Joel, please don't drive drunk.
More Storms- Ryan Krueger- 11:26 AM
Just down the road is a refinery owned by Frontier (FTO). Its refinery was on the other side of the dam. It doesn't get as many headlines as Valero (VLO), Tesoro (TSO) or larger integrated oils with refining capacity. Today, it hit an all-time high and the perfect storm for refiners continues.
Once again, the focus will be on refiners and gasoline prices. I'll remind you that another trade exists to take advantage of something in even tighter supply – the engineers needed to fix problems at each refinery.
Positions in FTO, VLO
Hedging My Bets...- Bennet Sedecca- 10:37 AM
I am not getting net short, but really don't want to sell my recent Pharmaceutical HOLDRs (PPH) and Semiconductor HOLDRs (SMH) purchases. However, when you own securities like Dodge & Cox Stock (DODGX) and Vanguard Equity-Income (VEIPX) with enormous capital gains, a hedge is more appropriate to reduce exposure than an outright sale.
I like to make money and be as tax-efficient as possible while leaving money with excellent managers.
So it's not a bearish bet, just one of caution.
I am using DXD for this trade. Five hours 'til fishing!
Positions in dodgx, teipx, dxd, pph, smh
On the Radar- Jeffrey Cooper- 9:21 AM
- Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc. (PPD) left a signal in the spirit of' a Peekaboo High, which is a new closing high hidden by the fct that it is not a new intraday high.
It is also a Triangle Pendulum as it broke down out of a triangle and offset the breakdown by reversing to the upside after kissing its 50 day moving average last week.
- Limelight Networks, Inc. (LLNW) shows a large range thrust on Friday and a relatively narrow range on Monday. It looks like a Thrust, Pause, Thrust set-up in the making. Remember, this was a recent hot IPO.
- Baidu.com (BIDU), up 100% in approximately 90 days, looks like a classic buying climax-- at least in the near term (see my column). It will be interesting to see if this morning's gap up will find an early high and be met wih sellers prior to the holiday. A gap up and a move below Monday's high triggers an Oops Signal.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter