Stocks to Watch: Baidu.com, Microsoft, Foundry Networks...
Friday's top stories and stocks with potential to move...
Stocks to watch for Friday, October 26, 2007:
- Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) reported its fiscal first-quarter profit is up a total of 23% from a year earlier, its fastest growth in revenue for the fiscal first quarter since 1999. Net income rose to $4.3 bln for the period finishing in September, or 45 cents a share, from $3.5 bln a year earlier, or 35 cents a share. Revenue increased, to $13.76 bln from $10.8 bln. Estimates from analysts put earnings for the quarter at 39 cents a share, on revenue of $12.6 billion.
- Accenture Ltd.'s (ACN) board approved an additional $3 bln for its share buyback plan, the company reported, also stating that its total remaining share repurchase authority was about $1.65 billion as of August 31.
- Baidu.com (BIDU) stated its net income for the third quarter soared to 181.7 million yuan ($24.2 million), or 5.23 yuan a share (70 cents), from 85.3 million yuan a year ago (or 2.46 yuan a share). Revenue increased to 496.5 million yuan ($66.3 million) from $237.6 million yuan a year ago. Estimates from analysts showed a profit of 63 cents a share on revenue of $66 million for the latest quarter. Baidu sees fourth-quarter revenue of 560 million to 575 million yuan ($74.7 million to $76.7 million).
- Vonage Holdings Corp. (VG) and Verizon Communications (VZ) have settled a patent dispute, the companies reported. The cost of Vonage's settlement to Verizon is capped at $32 million, Vonage stated, in addition to the $88 million already in escrow.
- McAfee Inc. (MFE) had a preliminary third-quarter profit of $62.9 mln, or 38 cents a share, on revenue of $322 mln, the company reported. A year ago, it earned $30.3 mln, or 19 cents a share, in the same period on $288 mln in sales. McAfee would have earned $72.5 mln, or 44 cents a share if one-time items were excluded. Forecasts from analysts predicted McAfee would earn 40 cents a share on $320 mln. The results were preliminary, McAfee said, because, as the company previously announced, several financial statements will be restated to account for past stock-option grants. McAfee expects, as a result, to take a charge of between $100 mln and $150 mln.
- Synchronoss Technologies Inc.'s (SNCR) earnings shot up over 150% in the third quarter with a large revenue gain, as it reported earnings of $8 mln, or 24 cents a share, compared to earnings of $3.1 mln, or 10 cents a share, for the same period last year. Earnings were boosted 6 cents a share due to tax rates coming in lower than expected. Revenue increased over 80% to $34.5 mln from $18.9 mln. Earnings of 17 cents a share on revenue of $33.4 mln were expected by analysts.
- Wendy's International (WEN) reported on Thursday that its third quarter profit decreased by more than half, lowered by charges and the spin-off of Tim Horton's (THI). Wendy's reported earnings of $29.9 mln, or 34 cents a share, after the bell for the period, down from $69.2 mln, or 58 cents, in the 3Q '06. It said it would have earned $28.8 mln, or 33 cents a share, up from $23.7 mln or 20 cents on a continuing operations basis. Revenue came in at $631.1 mln, up 0.2%. The company expects, at this time, full-year earnings per share to be at the high end of the previously announced target estimate of $1.09 to $1.23.
- Foundry Networks Inc.'s (FDRY) net income from the third-quarter more than doubled from the previous year to $27.6 mln, or 18 cents a share, from $12.2 mln, or 8 cents a share. Results include $13.3 mln in noncash stock-based compensation expenses and $60,000 from the company's stock option investigation and related restatement expenses. Net income was $35.9 mln, or 23 cents a share outside of these expenses. Revenue increased 34% to $159.5 mln from $118.8 mln a year ago, boosted by increased sales to the U.S. federal government. 17 cents on revenue of $148 mln were expected by analysts.
- Asian markets were mostly up with the Hang Seng +1.84%, Nikkei +1.36%, Korea's Kospi +2.6%, Taiwan's TAIEX +0.66%, Shanghai +0.49%, and India's Sensex +2.56%.
- Markets in Europe are Mixed with the CAC -0.08%, DAX +0.02%, FTSE +0.18%, Swiss Mkt -0..43%, ATX +0.92% and Stockholm -0.45%.
- Crude oil is higher +0.84 to 91.29 and gold is up +8.6 to 779.6.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter