Freaky Friday Potpourri: Nucking Futz!
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
- Jenny said turn off the radio. Jenny said turn off the light. Jenny said turn off the video. If only we listened to Jenny, maybe we we could let it go, let it go, let it go. Let it go, let it go, let it go.
- Have no fear, Jack Bauer is here.
- The semis were the first sector to flip the upside switch yesterday and that's worthy of a mention as we map our forward path.
- Of course, that sword swings both ways. Banks? Swvft! 10%. The drillers? Thump! 16%. Remember, in a counter-trend rally, you flip the switch on conventional wisdom and buy the beaten down, oversold sectors for a trade.
- Market psychology is a funny beast, eh? When we were 50% higher last year, the bears were taking stabs and covering the first pullback (as the news was generally constructive). Now, the bulls are taking stabs and selling the first rally (as the news is grim and grimmer).
- The only difference between a mistake and a lesson is the ability to learn from it.
- 330 Minyans cut a rug at last year's Festivus and we're on pace to eclipse that this year (which is a testament to our community given the economic climate). Word to the wise, we'll prolly close registration as we approach the 3-handle.
- Speaking of the community, I would like to take a quick moment to offer a hearty congrats to Team Minyanville for having the second highest year-over-year traffic growth of any financial website on the planet.
- Disney (DIS) as a teen is on my laundry list. Ditto Yahoo (YHOO) as a hat size, particularly after sidestepping the meat of the downside heat. Perhaps there's some serendipity in that?
Answers I Really Wanna Know…
Do you think folks will be bummed if we don't serve roasted rat at Festivus?
How much of yesterday's midday rally was due to the chatter that a three month short sale ban would be soon be implemented?
Right before the September expiration?
Or will we see some other "seismic readjustment?"
If you were running an emerging media concern and they asked you to do a television spot on Sunday at 5 pm-right in the middle of the afternoon games-what would you say?
Did I really miss another week of physical therapy on my knee?
If we keep saying "the nomination was honor enough," will it appease the mojo Gods enough to give Hoofy and Boo their well deserved Emmy?
I have a 9:00 AM cross-town meld so I'll likely miss the opening but I'll be back on the Buzz shortly thereafter. Take a deep breath, understand that we'll see some wicked two-sided volatility today-it is expiration-and we're a scant seven hours from our requisite two-day respite.
Fare ye well into the dwell and remember, Minyans, profitability begins within.
Did you know the doors to Festivus 2008 are officially open? Have you yet locked your spot for the critter trot as last year's soiree sold out? (This is our annual event to commingle our professors, partners and Minyans while chowing down and listening to live music. The very best part? It's for the kids in the good name of my grandfather.)
Daily Recap Newsletter