Random Thoughts: Tying History Up With a Bow
Government bought the cancer and sold the car crash
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Martial Law For the Markets and Random Thoughts: Sifting Through the New World Order and Clarity Now!
The Other Side of Socialization - 1:03 pm
Reports are circulating that General Electric (GE) is being added to the not-so-short no-short list, which triggered a few thoughts:
With financials off limits, will focus shift to stocks with derivative exposure?
Where do you draw the line? Airlines? Autos? Retail, in time?
The psychological reverberations of this initiative will be fierce.
A prolonged period of price discovery will persist as we find our way through this new world order.
More Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 1:54 pm
- Why can't I get these scene out of my head today?
- Short-sellers will be persecuted? You mean like a witch?
- What will we ever talk about when the Minyanville community gathers to help children on December 4th?
- I mean seriously, doesn't someone have to help future generations at a time like this?
- And we won the Cold War why?
- If ever there was a day to say "screw the salad, I'm having pizza," wouldn't this be it? (Yes.)
- How do you shoot the devil in the back. What if you miss?
- Y'all hear us on the consumer non-durables this morning?
- Will Boo shift his view to the next phase of the crisis?
- Such as retail like Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT)?
- I mean, it makes sense, right?
- Even if it's not straight away?
- Does anything make sense anymore?
Back in the U.S.S.A.! - 2:40 pm
It took me all day to arrive at this simple summation that the government made a simple trade. They bought the cancer and sold the car crash.
I suppose this is apropos given what's going on in the world into this expiration (thank you Minyan Kyle).
The vulnerability of the retail sector is really starting to crystallize in my admittedly frazzled keppe. Tech too, as remaining traders rotate risk. Remember, cancer comes in stages.
Is anyone else ready for some football? I suppose I should be psyched the Raiders play the early game so I can get glued to my screen for the Sunday night announcements.
And yes, I've canceled my business trip to the left coast on Monday as it's time to man the forts.
I continue to hope that this has all been a strange dream but something tells me that it's not. Breathe deep Minyans--this is where the power of community will set us apart from the pack. That is, until we are the pack. Bring it.
The doors to Festivus 2008 are officially open! Lock your spot for the critter trot as last year's soiree sold out. This is our annual event to commingle our professors, partners and Minyans while chowing down and listening to live music. The very best part? It's for the kids in the good name of my grandfather.
GET TODD'S INSIGHT ALONG WITH 25 OTHER MARKET PROS' IN REAL-TIME ON BUZZ & BANTER
Daily Recap Newsletter