Stocks to Watch: Hewlett-Packard, Pfizer, Sears Holdings
Tuesday's top stories and stocks with potential to move...
Stocks to watch for Tuesday, November 20, 2007:
- Capital One Financial (COF) said it agreed to cancel its deal to acquire Netspend Holdings. COF still plans to purchase a minority stake in the company, which will not affect its 2008 per-share earnings.
- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) reported fiscal 4Q profit of $2.2 bln, or 81 cents a share on revs of $28.3 bln. This, compared with profit of $1.7 bln, or 60 cents a share on revs of $24.6 bln a year ago.
- Medtronic (MDT) reported fiscal 2Q profit of $666 mln, or 58 cents a share, down from $681 mln, or 59 cents a share a year ago. The company reported sales of $3.12 billion, up from $3.08 billion a year ago.
- Nordstrom (JWN) reported 3Q net profit of $8.53 mln, or 55 cents a share, up 3.6 % from the year-ago numbers of $8.24 mln or 52 cents a share. Total sales increased 5.3% to $1.97 billion from $1.87 billion a year ago.
- Pfizer (PFE) won a ruling yesterday when U.S. District Judge Charles R. Breyer of San Francisco decided the plaintiffs did not have sufficient scientifically reliable evidence to prove the company's Celebrex painkiller caused heart attacks or strokes when taking a daily dose of 200 milligrams. There are over 3,000 plaintiffs involved in Celebrex cases, 900 of which were prescribed a 200 milligram daily dosage.
- Sears Holdings (SHLD) purchased a stake in Restoration Hardware (RSTO) amounting to 13.7% and is considering making a full takeover bid, according to a filing with the SEC. Sears reportedly paid $30.2 million in cash, or $5.67 a share, to acquire 5.3 million shares of RSTO.
- Target's (TGT) kept its same-store sales outlook for November unchanged, it should see low double digit growth. TGT expects the numbers to rise 2% to 4%.
- Asian trading closed withe the Hang Seng +1.13%, Nikkei +1.12%, Sensex -1.80%, Shanghai +0.45% and Taiwan was flat with a modest gain.
- A quick check across the pond is skewed to the upside with the CAC +0.63%, DAX +1.18%, FTSE +0.74%, ATX +0.33%, Swiss Mkt. +0.43% and Stockholm +0.81%.
- Crude oil is trading higher +1.16 to 95.80 and gold is also up +9.6 to 787.6 this morning.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter