Random Thoughts: Dollar Went Creeping While Y'all Was Sleeping
Understanding the implications of a rising greenback.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Is the Worst of the 2008 Spook Behind Us? and Hoofy and Boo Score an Emmy Nomination!
There's No Such Thing as a "Red" or "Blue" Minyan! - 1:12 pm
- Seeing all sides--always see all sides--keep an eye on these massive government communications contracts (Verizon (VZ) nabbed this one).
- "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson, 1802
- If you put a water pistol to my head, I would offer that Turnaround Tuesday will manifest lower. As it's relatively edgeless, however, I'll only play should I identify an advantageous risk-reward that is uber-defined.
- Eyes of the World? Crude $60 (recent lows), Grandma Goldman (GS) and Grumpy Google (GOOG) (the super-duopoly are both pointed lower), breadth (still stubbornly sticky), performance anxiety (the buyers are higher and the sellers are lower), retail (Sears (SHLD), Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW) are taking it on the chin), biotech (Biogen (BIIB) is leading the way) and December 2nd (although, in the interest of "the journey," we're celebrating today's news!).
- This weekend, the entire clan is schlepping to the big city to celebrate the Margarita Maven's 88th. Ruby will be there in spirit, as always, as we take out his wife and "treat her like a buyer!" Time is the most precious commodity and the flickering ticks pale in comparison to the important stuff.
- The 'Ville prides itself on staying away from politics unless it directly relates to the financial markets. With that said--as a socially liberal fiscal conservative--I'll offer that the economy is a "punt" either way for the next four years and this election comes down to "social change" vs. "defense spending." Whichever way your vote sways, remember that there's no such thing as a "blue" or "red" Minyan--we're all in this together.
- As always, I hope this finds you well!
Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 3:04 pm
- Does life imitate art? (We sure hope so!)
- Are those (bullish) reverse head and shoulder formations setting up in the mainstay averages?
- Between Halloween and the Marathon, wasn't it nice to see the NYC mojo return for the weekend?
- Y'all see the dollar creepin' (higher) while ya sleepin'?
- While understanding the big picture implications?
- Would now be a good time to remind Minyans that boredom isn't an actionable catalyst?
- I was stressing about BHP Billiton (BHP) ($40) when it was trading with a $20-handle?
- Did Huey Lewis ever get the snaps he deserved?
- Time to dip back into the DXO (crude)? (Yes)
- Are you enjoying the little things in life or constantly stressing about the big picture?
- How 'bout my Raiders? (Grrr!)
Did you know the doors to Festivus 2008 are officially open? Have you yet locked your spot for the critter trot as last year's soiree sold out? (This is our annual event to commingle our professors, partners and Minyans while chowing down and listening to live music. The very best part? It's for the kids in the good name of my grandfather.)
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter