Answers I Really Wanna Know: Russian Roulette?
Making sense of mixed signals from Moscow.
- Was the G-8's communication that they're mapping plans to reverse the stimuli all we needed to know heading into yesterday's mess?
- You know our vibes on "asset class deflation vs. dollar devaluation," right?
- The same one we've been monitoring since 2002?
- That the lower greenback is a necessary precursor to-but no guarantor of-higher asset classes?
- In other words, the dollar and asset classes can both decline but can't together forge sustainable rallies?
- With that in mind, should we note that the dollar is 60 bips lower as we power up Turnaround Tuesday?
- I assume you've read Professor Pepe Depew's excellent primer on the dollar?
- Yesterday Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said Russia has full confidence in the dollar and this morning Russian President Medvedev said the world needs new reserve currencies?
- "Mr. President, who is in control of your armed forces?" President Fowler, Clear and Present Danger
- Brazil, Russia, India and China are looking to build future foundations with BRIC bonds and regional currencies?
- Remember when we posed the notion of regional currencies in January and were branded conspiracy theorists?
- Much the same as we were years ago when we pointed to the invisible hand before it became universally accepted as a central policy tool?
- How would one explain Minyanville in three minutes or less?
- If you Googled (GOOG) "Really early," would you find this 2003 CNBC interview warning about he the cumulative dangers of debt, derivatives and Fannie Mae (FNM)?
- If market moves are characterized by denial, migration and panic, have we flipped the switch from the panic phase of a bull craze to a denial style bear scare?
- Is the unequivocal answer "YES" as long as S&P 950ish remains overhead?
- The next shoe: commercial real estate or municipalities?
- If it's the latter matter, will the cause be slowing home sales or unfunded pension plans?
- Where do capers come from?
- How many fund managers expect performance anxiety to permeate into quarter-end (T-minus ten days and counting)?
- If not for humble pie, would I weigh 20 pounds lighter?
- Greatest hits what?
- How about a free test drive of some of our subscription products?
- Are any Minyans looking to get their foot in the door as a research assistant at a top-tier firm? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and he will provide you with the necessary information (Please do not send resumes).
- Did you see the relative strength in Visa (V), Mastercard (MA) and American Express (AXP) yesterday?
- Have I mentioned that five separate financial professionals I speak with all told me they were buying dips in Bank America (BAC)?
- Or how awesome it was to shake William Goldman's hand last week?
- Isn't a bit soon to hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner across the bow of the economy?
- Haven't we seen that movie before?
- Remember how silky smooth James Worthy was in his prime?
- Doesn't a little levity go a long way in a world like this?
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter