Answers I Really Wanna Know: Russian Roulette?
By Todd Harrison Jun 16, 2009 10:45 am
Making sense of mixed signals from Moscow.
- Was the G-8's communication that they're mapping plans to reverse the stimuli all we needed to know heading into yesterday's mess?
- You know our vibes on "asset class deflation vs. dollar devaluation," right?
- The same one we've been monitoring since 2002?
- That the lower greenback is a necessary precursor to-but no guarantor of-higher asset classes?
- In other words, the dollar and asset classes can both decline but can't together forge sustainable rallies?
- With that in mind, should we note that the dollar is 60 bips lower as we power up Turnaround Tuesday?
- I assume you've read Professor Pepe Depew's excellent primer on the dollar?
- Yesterday Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said Russia has full confidence in the dollar and this morning Russian President Medvedev said the world needs new reserve currencies?
- "Mr. President, who is in control of your armed forces?" President Fowler, Clear and Present Danger
- Brazil, Russia, India and China are looking to build future foundations with BRIC bonds and regional currencies?
- Remember when we posed the notion of regional currencies in January and were branded conspiracy theorists?
- Much the same as we were years ago when we pointed to the invisible hand before it became universally accepted as a central policy tool?
- How would one explain Minyanville in three minutes or less?
- If you Googled (GOOG) "Really early," would you find this 2003 CNBC interview warning about he the cumulative dangers of debt, derivatives and Fannie Mae (FNM)?
- If market moves are characterized by denial, migration and panic, have we flipped the switch from the panic phase of a bull craze to a denial style bear scare?
- Is the unequivocal answer "YES" as long as S&P 950ish remains overhead?
- The next shoe: commercial real estate or municipalities?
- If it's the latter matter, will the cause be slowing home sales or unfunded pension plans?
- Where do capers come from?
- How many fund managers expect performance anxiety to permeate into quarter-end (T-minus ten days and counting)?
- If not for humble pie, would I weigh 20 pounds lighter?
- Greatest hits what?
- How about a free test drive of some of our subscription products?
- Are any Minyans looking to get their foot in the door as a research assistant at a top-tier firm? Email email@example.com, and he will provide you with the necessary information (Please do not send resumes).
- Did you see the relative strength in Visa (V), Mastercard (MA) and American Express (AXP) yesterday?
- Have I mentioned that five separate financial professionals I speak with all told me they were buying dips in Bank America (BAC)?
- Or how awesome it was to shake William Goldman's hand last week?
- Isn't a bit soon to hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner across the bow of the economy?
- Haven't we seen that movie before?
- Remember how silky smooth James Worthy was in his prime?
- Doesn't a little levity go a long way in a world like this?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter