Random Thoughts: Gangsta Gangsta!
Defined risk, please.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also The Critters Turn Six! and The Here is Now.
This market has the distinct feeling of someone having an anxiety attack and falling into a crowd of people. The powers that be are trying to catch him (her?) before (s)he hits his (her?) head on the ground.
- Yes, Minyans, we'll have the NYU speech on the 'Ville in short order. I'm pretty sure you've heard most of it before but, as there have been several queries, we're gonna let it fly. Many thanks to our NYU Minyans for their bang-up job.
- 3:30. Buy backs end. Redemption notices hit. Tension is high. Yeezers.
- If you're not reading Pep's Step, you're missing some of the best content out there. Period.
- There are two schools of thought when trading. "Hit it to quit it" or "scale as a function of price."
- I've been in the former camp for some time--two ways, mind you--but my antennae are starting to perk up on the former storm in select situations (drillers?) for a pure trade.
- And yes, I'm gonna carry home my small Weatherford (WFT) call schnitzel. Not advice, just sharing the process, and biddin', not takin'.
- With defined risk, mind you. Everything defined risk, please.
- Remember a few weeks ago, Pep offered that--by definition--technical indicators don't work in a crash. That's why that call it a crash. Things break.
- Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.
- My eyes keep floating to the banks--JP Morgan (JPM), Bank America (BAC), Citigroup (C)--wondering what's gonna happen when they unleash Mother Nature.
- It's prolly better that they're on my restricted list--after 17 years of trading 'em (wow, I'm old), I would prolly be knee deep in risk right now.
- I just scanned my screen for green beans in the Red Sea. AIG (AIG)... at $4. National City (NCC)... at $3. Wachovia (WB)... at $3.89. And no, I'm not suggesting that's bullish action--I'm simply marveling at the price points.
- And fallin' and yellin' and pushin' and screamin' and cussin'...
- Be a part of the solution, Minyans. That is our task at hand, now more than ever. Fare ye well into the bell, hug someone you love (yes, it can be a pet) and take a deep breath. This too, shall pass.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.