Random Thoughts: Piggies Get Caught in the Mud
Note the sloppiness in the financials.
Editor's Note: The following was posted in real time on our premium Buzz & Banter. It's being shared here for the benefit of the Minyanville community. See also Answers I Really Wanna Know: Will the S&P Top 1000 By Year-End? and Broadcom for a Trade.
Clean Up, Aisle Five! - 11:43 am
You wanna know reason number two-hundred and thirty six why trailing stops are our friend? Because A.D.D. moth-in-a-light bulb factory folks like myself can multi-task (and attempt to hit my MarketWatch deadline while sucking down Theraflu) without worrying about risk gone awry.
My Dryships (DRYS) (+34%) schnitzel was stopped out as I tried to make sense of those things on my screen (Theraflu? Zicam? Zinc? I feel like I just spent a weekend with Henry Nicholas!).
Speaking of Henry, my Broadcom (BRCM) common, according to my trusty trade platform at TD-Ameritrade, will get stopped out on the other side of $17... which, it appears, just triggered (it did). You want real-time? You got real-time! I'm back to a flattish posture (save some Boots & Coots (WEL) and DXO, which are Todd-lots) as I try to put lipstick on this pig of a column (for tomorrow).
Please keep in mind, Minyans, that I'm traveling to DC on Thursday and I'm slated to be out next week, so my stylistic approach is tighter than it other wise might be.
As always, I hope this finds you well.
The Mess Around! - 12:40 pm
- Mucho White Minyan Light to Kevin & Ellen. We're "with you" in the City of Critters as we channel our very best energy your way.
- Watch DXY 85 Minyans. If it breaks, you could see a four-handle S&P sooner rather than later.
- In my eight years of writing, I've only violated our "we don't do acrimony in the 'Ville" mantra once, and that was in reference to Franklin Raines. As he continues to point fingers and blame others, I thought we could re-link it... sans acrimony of course.
- Have I mentioned how very grateful I am for all ye faithful who continue to believe? This glistening golden goddess is for you... and you... and you!
- Miles Davis once said that "it's not the notes that make the music but the space between the notes." The same can be said of life, eh?
- We said this morning that anything resembling a flat day would be a big win for Hoofy following the 21% lift and the proximity of S&P 900.
- That, along with the reaction to news--see Broadcom (BRCM) and Texas Instruments (TXN) (not so much FedEx (FDX))--warrants respect Yo.
- Fannie (FNM) and Freddie (FRE) are deee-ad. Fannie and Freddie are deee-ad.
How do I tell that that due to the unfreezing process I have no inner monologue? - 1:50 pm
The following thoughts are the very first things to cross my mind, in no particular order, with as little editing as possible (allowed):
Note the sudden sloppiness in the financials. As goes the piggies, so goes the poke.
- Citi (C) stands out as a green thumb... but isn't it capped at $10 and change?
- I don't need no second hand smoke.
- They must have had some fun on the set of The Cannonball Run.
- When Saut and Shobin speak, I, for one, will listen.
- Professor Smita Sadana is special. Very, very special.
- Does it "matter" that Boots & Coots (WEL) is up 19% when 19% is 19 cents?
- Yikes. Three month treasury bills trade at a negative rate of 0.01%. I've seen a lot over the course of my career but I've never seen that before.
- Hit it, quit it, sit it.
- It's hard not to like Chuckie Gruden and, as a Raider fan, I'm allowed not to like him.
- I almost shorted General Electric (GE) three separate times today before reminding myself that the easy trade not only passed, it was captured.
- Boredom is never an actionable catalyst (not that I'm bored, mind you).
- Worst call of the year? Newspapers, hands down.
- Theraflu + sneezing = Jackson Pollock.
- Ed Harris never gets the snaps he deserves.
More Answers I Really Wanna Know... - 3:10 pm
- Have you seen the Chrysler home page lately?
- If your longs were shorts and your shorts were longs, would your view of the tape be any different?
- What if you were flat to the share?
- Is it a good or bad thing that Television's JeffMacke® and I were so slammed at Festivus that we didn't get a chance to exchange a hug or a handshake?
- I mean, we've come a long way since he use to commute to NYC from Marin County and stay at Chez Harrison as CNBC noodled a concept that was a loose transliteration of the Buzz & Banter (and is now the top-rated business show on air)?
- Negative .01%?!?
- Blink and crude is off 4%?
- Is Bonnie Tyler good or what?
- Given four days of bed rest and more medication than you can shake a stick at, how the heck am I down-ticking?
- Is anyone else seeing the traction in the drillers despite the fright in crude?
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter