Answers I Really Wanna Know: How Many are Hiding in Gold?
By Todd Harrison Feb 24, 2009 9:00 am
Are commodities a safe spot to lay low?
- Why is Don Henley's Shangri-La stuck in my head this morning?
- "Every day's a new day, that's what I've been told. Try to hold your head high when the world runs hot and cold?"
- Was "I'm just hiding in gold" the single most prevalent theme at The Money Show yesterday?
- Commodities as a hiding spot?
- Haven't we seen a similar movie before and it didn't end well?
- Does "long energy vs. short gold" make sense if structured with defined risk?
- The DJIA has retraced precisely 50% since the October 2007 all-time high?
- While that's no guarantor of a Snapper-the NDX is off 80% from the peak-is that worthy of a mention as Turnaround Tuesday looms?
- I'm already a self-loathing Yankee fan. Are the Raiders are trying to force me into the same pigskin situation?
- Are we about to see some consolidation in the energy space?
- Societal Acrimony? What societal acrimony?
- Do you remember last month when we walked through the anatomy of a profitable process?
- Was leaving for a speaking engagement yesterday-with upside exposure on my sheets-the definition of an unprofitable process?
- While I've got dry powder and will continue to trade around that bias, will I have to roll my March paper to avoid the dreaded front-month decay?
- Will we see our tradable rally before S&P 600ish arrives, which I've circled as a spot to deploy 25% of my heretofore 100% cash long-term account?
- Are these government "stress tests" in the financials their "out" if and when they have to pull the nationalization plug?
- Are you watching JP Morgan (JPM) today through the lens of "reaction to news is more important than the news itself?"
- Have you taken your two week FREE trial to our top notch subscription products?
- Have you checked out our new options newsletter by the talented Steve Smith - coming soon?
- Did someone on my panel yesterday really say I was "out over my skis" for suggesting certain banks are-and have been-insolvent?
- If I responded "I would rather be over my skis than buried under an avalanche of optimism the last two years," would I have stepped off the high road? (I didn't.)
- If Apple (AAPL), Baidu (BIDU), Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN) are pretty in pink despite green pre-market futures, does that suggest further supply looms?
- Have you sticky noted "Financial Staying Power" to the bottom of your computer monitor?
- Will somebody please make this song stop?
- Does this 20-year chart of the S&P put things in perspective?
- If you flipped it upside down, would you be bullish or bearish?
- What is the world coming to when I have to rush home from the office in time for the 9:00 PM airing of 24?
- Do you want be in the Minyanville Underground Railroad (a human capital network that intertwines the world with like-minded individuals who believe our name and word still mean something and there is a better way to do business and a common ethos in how to do it)?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter