Answers: Is the Writing on the Wall?
By Todd Harrison Jun 30, 2009 9:45 am
The Street strives to learn whether or not the worst is behind us.
- Is the back half of the "W" and deflation vs. inflation the modern day financial equivalent of the chicken and the egg?
- Does anyone else sense a slew of "pundits" seemingly in sync that we'll rally into the middle of July?
- Which "fits" our recent discussion regarding the timing of the upside window (if it is to occur at all)?
- And may be necessary to prevent S&P 956 from being the Widow's Peak of 2009?
- So Wall Street is going to log the best quarter since the crisis began due to strong performance from trading and underwriting (each other's secondary offerings)?
- Do you remember when Minyan Peter said earnings are the past and balance sheets are the future?
- As "rallies end on good news, not bad," will the stage be set to fade (read: sell) this widely expected circle smirk when it arrives?
- How does that jibe with the pennant formation in the BKX?
- Do folks really believe the worst is behind us given these looming shoes?
- Or derivatives, for that matter, as evidenced by this morning's missive from American International Group (AIG)?
- Are too many people focusing on the mini-dandruff at S&P 930 vs. the entirely more relevant levels of S&P 900 (50- and 200-day) below and S&P 950 above?
- If Turnaround Tuesday flips the downside switch, will yesterday's action in select banks (Citigroup (C), JP Morgan (JPM)) and big beta (Research in Motion (RIMM), Amazon (AMZN), Baidu (BIDU), Google (GOOG) again prove telling with the benefit of hindsight?
- Are you watching Amazon (AMZN) for "reaction to news" today following the Cowen upgrade this morning?
- Particularly if you've got a defined risk short-side try in place under $85?
- Why is it that regardless of whether it's blackjack or trading, I perform better when I play smaller, more methodical hands?
- Would that make a card counting carnie the best blackjack player in the world?
- If the back half of 2009 mirrors the first, would that be a "W"?
- Have you read Professor Smita's excellent take on why "buy and hold" is dead?
- Which is an entirely different conversation than what we had (regarding select allocations) when the S&P traded with a six-handle?
- Did you know Westport Innovations (WPRT) is +50% since Prof Quint Tatro added it to our FlexFolio in May?
- Given the FREE trial to all Minyanville premium products, can I share these snazzy services through the lens of "not sellin', just tellin'?
- I mean, don't you hate those SPAM emails from financial websites screaming that you'll get rich quick if-and only if-you subscribe in the next 24-hours?
- Does anyone else miss Minyans in the Mountains?
- Have you taken the time to chew through the links at the bottom of this column?
- What odds can get that the VXO doubles at a point before 2010 arrives?
- Do you ever let an opinion get in the way of making money?
- Wouldn't we be lucky to do what we love at 57 years young?
- Societal acrimony? What societal acrimony?
- I wrote the Minyanville Underground Railroad Murmurs yesterday, which are sent each Tuesday with a sneak peak of the Memoirs. If you believe that your name and word mean something and honesty, trust and respect are the foundational constructs of any successful endeavor, why not climb on board The Critter Express?
- Are you respecting this juncture in the market while keeping tabs on the perception of five things that could conceivably "matter?"
- Can I please send an insane amount of white light to Minyan E.M.?
Position in AMZN
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter