I think we've seen the highs for the session.
- If you haven't read Collin's rendition of Monarch Pass, you gotta get involved!
- I'm hearing that the hedge fund community is rotating their short-side focus from the semis to software.
- Minyan John Roque--the uber-talented technician from Natexis Bliechroeder--noted in his recent missive that Citigroup (C:NYSE) finds resistance around $47.5.
- I picked a heckuva day to venture out sans umbrella. Despite my (Vermont edition) rain hat and a "water resistant" jacket, I'm soaked through to my skivvies. I know it's a bad visual but it's an even worse feeling!
- Ownership Society? Only if you own a credit card...
- Net names, media issues, storage and select telecom trades dry, thus far, as money rotates out of the consumers, financials and software.
- I'll put this out there and I hope I'm wrong. If Dubya stays put--as I sense he will--we'll see the draft reinstated by the end of the next term.
- I'll never eat bacon the same way again!
- Syracuse football is off to a strong start with their 51-0 loss to Purdue. Purdue? Somebody call Jim Brown!
- Silver $6.50 will serve as initial resistance (from where it broke).
- Elmer hits the tape and assures us that the economic "expansion has regained some traction." He attributed the soft patch to the previous rise in energy prices, opined that business investment is on a solid upward trend and payroll gains 'picked back up in August.' He allowed that the oil supply/demand equation will "remain precarious" and the long-term budget prospects are "troubling." He also warned against "complacency" on the fiscal outlook and says the budget may deteriorate if policies don't change.
- The dollar drippage is picking up steam and is now almost a percent off session highs.
- Why do small people always win eating contests?
- Russia, which has stealthily dominated the headlines for the last month, should remain on your radar. Something tells me they're gonna be influential on a number of financial fronts.
- The Donald may put the Trump thump on the tape.
- "It" happens.
- "If the nation makes the wrong choice on election day, it faces the threat of another terrorist attack." --Dick Cheney
- I still believe that once the electoral clarity (bullish) phase abates, focus will shift to the tepid fundies and the structural issues. I don't, however, have a strong sense on when that will happen.
- Gold is back at $400 after holding above the uptrend line (from the May lows).
- Keep an eye on the drillers as they flirt with a breakout (but note the toppy stochastics).
- Most things worth attaining take much more time, effort and energy than initially expected.
- Sante Fe Minyans, please give me a ping!
- We're working on building out the Minyan network such that ye faithful can interact with each other. It's...awesome.
- If you work at a large firm and would like to offer them a gratis Minyanville trial subscription on your behalf, let us know and we'll make you look good!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter