Toddo is on his way to Baltimore to visit family and I'm actually scheduled to head to the area myself. Let us know if you have a real interest in a Washington Minyanfest tentatively thinking Sunday at 4:00 at Nick's Riverside Grille.
Maybe we can swing by the BLS after a few cold ones to finally get some answers...
- Beware: Bear Crossing
- "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress implacably requires change. Education is essential to change, for education creates both new wants and the ability to satisfy them."
- Henry Steele Commager
- Note the dryness in many of the consumer names today (along with telecom)
- Edward W. Eaton Jr. - one of the most inspirational people I've ever known. Rest easy buddy and say hello to Ruby.
- Food for thought
- Best Wishes to former President Bill Clinton on a speedy recovery.
- Vertical Lift
- "Another source of even greater, 'alleged' economic strength: part-time self-employed farmers up 9.2% nominally since end of Q1...not the stuff of rampant eco-labor-market reflation" -- Prof. Weldon
- I think Fokker signed up for this
- "But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to amuse you?" -- Goodfellas
- We need interns!
- Talk about school violence
- Prof. Tuttle's previous job
- "It's true what they say: Cops and women don't mix. It's like eating a spoonful of Drano, sure it'll clean you out, but it'll leave you hollow inside." -- Lt. Frank Drebin
- Quin the Eskimo
- If you have little Minyans make sure to read "Back to school" by the super-talented Susan Wein
- From John on the Buzz..."A few Minyans have commented, "John, the birth/death estimates are not seasonally adjusted and therefore you cannot just subtract them from the published number."
Let me put it plainly. So far this year around 1.7 million jobs have been created unadjusted for seasonality. This happens to be close to the seasonally adjusted number.
Out of this 1 million jobs (over half) are due to the birth/death adjustment. Again, this is a number that the BLS comes up with to estimate job creation./loss due to new businesses being created and old businesses dying.
We do not know how they come up with this number. For all we know it could be negative."
- If you have suggestions for ways we can improve the 'Ville and add value to your daily routine please give us a shout
- Egg white/Cheddar omelet -258 calories
Bacon - 61 per slice
Scrambled eggs -198
Sausage - 60 per link
Home fries - 169
Cheese fries - 285 (add 85 if you think there was extra cheese)
California Wrap - 208 (add 134 if Mayo is added, 1 if lettuce and 4 per tomato slice)
Cookies - 105 each
Coffee - 180
Snapple - 183 each
(Todd's diet yesterday while at work - good luck in the competition!)
- Fokker's philosophical thought of the day: "If the minimum isn't accceptable, why is it they call it the minimum?"
- Leave the gun - take the cannolis!
- College football kickoff weekend - Meehan says Cats over Cards in the fine state of KY (Kentucky not the jelly).
- The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes. Meehan usually only stays awake for 7 minutes.
- Note that the chips continue to slip to the lows of the session (-5%) and have now pierced the August low (360.61).
- Hostile workplace! Every morning this week I walked into the office to find the temperature at least 85 degrees between 6 am and 8 am and immediately after 5 pm. The hammering and drilling weren't exactly the ideal wake-up call either.
- Thank you AP!
- Before the bell, I'll pass along an account of my troubled trek to Crested Butte. It's an easy read for a Friday train ride (and a laugh or two at my expense).
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter