Sorry!! The article you are trying to read is not available now.
Thank you very much;
you're only a step away from
downloading your reports.

Buzz and Banter



I am not qualified to make fundamental commentary on the movement of the global currency markets. I am qualified however, to point out there have been 4 instances of greater than 15% declines (using monthly data, provided by Baseline Inc.) in the U.S. Dollar Index since 1989. They are;

Jan 2002 - May 2003 -22%
Dec 1993 - April 1995 -16%
June 1991 - August 1992 -18%
May 1989 - Jan 1991 -20%

My point isn't the weak dollar is good...just that it isn't a new thing, and prior instances of pronounced weakness were not followed by imminent U.S. financial markets demise.

I understand there are other issues here, twin deficits etc...but think about the impact selling 1% of U.S. based holdings would have on the remaining 99% position. That doesn't sound like a good option to me if it were my money.

I constantly come across lately as the bull here and that's ok. The truth of the matter is that I see what "they" see. Add to that the S&P 500 hasn't even moved above the last "lower high" (roughly 1150). The intermediate-term downtrend hasn't even been broken - but simply testing it would represent a 12.5% gain from current levels.

My work continues to suggest a test of that level. Until it does I don't have to debate the secular case because it hasn't yet changed from negative and won't in my view until a move above 1150.

< Previous
  • 1
Next >
Personally, I wish I had more Dollars.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.

Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Featured Videos