Minyans in the Mountains
What about me Laurie?
• The line-up of professors was awesome. So many leaders of their field sharing their who / what / why and how. My expertise (what little I do know) is nowhere near being in their league and I feel embarrassed to be included on their "team".
• John Succo was game enough to have a good old swig of our famous Bundaberg Rum, straight from the bottle, much to the dismay of Mrs Succo. It was purely medicinal, Terri.
• Carrying physical metal through customs is one of the most entertaining things you can ever do.
• "The difference between intervention and manipulation is communication" - Todd Harrison. Someone is not communicating in precious metals!
• "The stuff that's not - several commodities - have severe capacity limitations that preclude their use as easy substitutes for financial assets"- Mike Santoli. My point exactly, Mike. That's why both gold and silver are so explosive, in my opinion. So much paper running at so little "real stuff" and when the "real stuff" is "real money" the potential for metals to pop like the proverbial zit, is huge.
• Greg Weldon (6'10') standing next to me (5'9" in heels) at our breakout session was a laugh in itself. Lisa reckons he must have a live-in hairdresser. Even after a softball game in 100 degree heat, he still looked like he came off the cover of GQ.
• The look on some faces when they got to see and feel a real block of silver or gold, when they've been trading millions of ounces over the years, was very interesting. Especially when it is pointed out that for every futures contract they deal in, if they are short, they may be forced to deliver the stuff!
• How prescient. This made us all laugh as we wandered around Santa Monica and Venice Beach promenade with our new mate, Mike Gat.
• How superb were the facilites at Ojai?
• How ordinary was the ultra-expensive breakfast at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica?.We weren't expecting to have to provide our own cups from which to drink our pot of tea! The room was lovely, though, with great Forest Essential bath products. Lisa swiped it all!
• How good was Terri Succo taking a catch at the wall in right field off my best slashing cricket drive. I thought the worst fielder was supposed to be out there, not the best!
• Silver Standard Resources (SSRI)
• Racing for home plate and looking up to see Weldon blocking the way is somewhat intimidating. At least it wasn't Dr. J.!!!!!
• Was Bernie Schaeffer smiling all day Saturday just because his horse won handsomely on the Friday night?
• Gold Leasing - will the gold ever come back to the lenders?
• " The next war will be over water" – Jeff Saut
• 16-5 after 3 innings Toddo. 18-18 after 7. How's that for a Snapper!
• Thomson Financial were sensational in supplying systems and info, but I have a very minor complaint - next year throw in a set of speakers so we can listen to my horse race in Oz! Silent radio just didn't quite paint the picture.
• Pairs Trade - buy Grey Goose / sell Bundaberg Rum – David Miller.
• Jeff Macke still has a litre of Bundy Rum in his possession, but last I saw of him on Sunday he said he was never going to have another drink in his life. Yeah right.
• Professor Reamer holding court at Jimmy's at 3 am. It all made sense to me at the time. What were we talking about, Scott?
• Mike Santoli is right in his observation, the commodities markets are small and the capacity limited. That's what is so attractive to me.
• A commodity futures contract is a commitment to DELIVER said commodity at a designated time and place.
• How sweet was Vanessa's mum. Don't ya just love the French accent.
• Neal "Dingers" Dingmann is a closet Aussie. It all came out at Ojai.
• Was that a Wellington Hurricanes rugby jersey spotted on the back of Dr J?
• Billy Meehan had a very dubious strike zone. Knees to chest, mate! Lisa does not have boobs on her forehead!
• It's just paper oil, "Dingers".
• Most every "metal trader" has no freaking idea about the physical market. Astounding!
• The "after party" at Toddo's on Saturday night was a blast. Lucky we had the rum!
• The Indian public soak up about 25% of the total gold supplied by mines each year. 600 tonnes out of about 2500 with demand growing and mine supply dwindling. Tick, tick, tick.
• Why did everyone want to play with my gold bars? Get your own and play with yourself.
• I think I talked with EVERY person at Ojai at some stage or other. If I was making sense, that's a bonus.
• Was there a Spa at Ojai? I could never get past Jimmy's or the pool, for some strange reason.
• Jimmy Bridges – tennis anyone?
• Golf is not an option when 2 pools beckon and the weather is 100 in the shade!
• Toddo WAS out on Raghu's tag at home plate. I've seen Mike Gat's photo, blown up and it is irrefutable. Meehan was just looking at his Xmas bonus with that call.
• The London Gold Pool revisited.
• Santa Monica pier is not a fishing venue, IMO, but 100 fisherman at 7am proved me wrong. What do they do with those 3 inch sardines? Put 'em in a blender and make fish milkshakes or something?
• Jeff Macke is everything he is made out to be – just uglier.
• The Global Macro panel didn't mention China or India in their discussions. Or did I miss something?
• Ya know what sucks about presenting at the breakout sessions? Not getting an education from the other professors - NOT FAIR.
• For a bloke with a fair sized real estate exposure, Fil Zucchi is pretty bloody bearish!
• Professor Miller had more than two Bundy and Coke's and remained upright. Wobbly, sure, but upright nonetheless. A good "Aussie in training".
• "37 fractures, a punctured lung and 5 screws is the official count"- the reply to keen diver Mrs. Mueller (wife of all conquering golfer, Sean) after enquiring as to why Lisa needs a dive buddy other than me.
• Sal Morreale treated me to a nice Aussie red wine that I had never come across down here. Thanks mate. Now get down here, 'coz I've got a whole cellar to get through in 7 weeks, as my old house sold at auction last weekend and I can't store 75 dozen bottles in my small apartment!
• I think the Roney's and McGuirk's are meant to meet down here in Sydney, about April, just about Australian Derby time. Horse people are such fun.
• It was good to finally meet Judith Dornstein, resident legal counsel for MV. Now I know who to call to bail me out if I ever get in trouble over there!
• I am not "that wild man from Australia", Fari, my mum christened me Lawrence!
• I reckon Dr. J would make a fantastic rugby player but he'd have to leave the pads and helmet at home.
• I'm betting that Fari's already out there trying to source a bigger silver bar than the one I brought with me, going off his reaction to the physical metal.
• How does a four lane highway grind to a dead standstill at 2pm on a clear, dry Sunday??? It took an hour to travel 3 ½ miles when heading back to LA.
• Lila Depew, MV's resident horse expert, will be required in Sydney next April to be the official strapper for Maitrise, our as yet unraced filly, who is gonna win the Australian Oaks!
• Is there a nicer spirit than Grey Goose? I doubt it, and I've tasted plenty.
• Laurie is not a girls name anywhere but in the USA!
• Do not drink red wine with Sal Morreale anytime before a 1 hour presentation.
• Lisa thinks Bernie Schaeffer is the nicest man in the world. Hear, hear.
• I loved watching Rich Gula while he played with / studied / weighed the metal bars in his hands. There's something about gold and silver, eh, Rich?
• Carole Peck Harrison and Lisa are a very dangerous combo. Talk about 2 peas in a pod! They're talking about going to Minas Gerais in Brazil to go gemstone hunting.
• LA in general is nothing like I expected. I had never been outside the airport previously.
• Los Compadres Mexican restaurant on Sunset Blvd was my first "real" Mexican feed and it was sensational. Mexican food cooked by Mexican people is way better than the Mexican food cooked by Chinese people, served down here!
• Lisa describing "Dingers" Dingmann - "obviously smart, occasionally charming, yet undoubtedly crazy – just like my Lozza."
• Did I mention that Mike Santoli is correct in asserting that commodities lack capacity versus financial assets? This is why I love precious metals so much.
• I hear there's a new book out soon – "Macke and the Bunny Boiler".
• Why does everyone seem think being A.D.D is a bad thing? It's multi-tasking if a woman does it, but ADD if it's a guy.
• Greg Collins is the perfect foil for Toddo!
• I thought Fari was gonna have a heart attack as he had his first slurp of the Bundy Rum.
• The consensus was that the Toronto Maple Leafs will NEVER win the Stanley Cup again. I beg to differ.
• Did I mention that I think we are seeing a repeat of The London Gold pool debacle of the late '60's?
• And finally, where should we hold MIM3? How about Whistler / Blackcomb?
Thanks to everyone who worked so hard putting the whole gig on. It was a magnificent event that will be hard to top next year, no matter where it is. Finally, thanks to the Professors who were so welcoming of both Lisa and I. A better bunch of blokes we couldn't have wished to be associated with.
Roll on MIM3!
Laurie and Lisa
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter