The Second Annual Minyans in the Mountains Awards
You tried to use that same line last year Fokker!
- The "Strangers in the night" award: Leah Burke and Brian "Farley" Bauman who demonstrated that anything is possible.
- The "Most unique spin on 'networking' award: Keleigh Thomas (for pepper-spraying Prof's Macke and Collins at the ironically titled Circle of Trust dinner) and who, after advising the MV staff to 'watch their drinking' apparently meant 'watch her drinking.'
- The "He's a real person?!" award: Farley
- The "Honorary David Lynch award for the weirdest vibe": The Hub bar in downtown Ojai where, "we tried to have karaoke here one time but the lady who did it got sick and never came back."
- The "Taking Some Time to Get to Know the Locals" award: Neal Dingmann, guest bouncer at the Deer Lodge lounge. Runner up: the "infant massage" therapists that showed up out of nowhere.
- The "Where's my wheelbarrow" award: Carrie Dingmann, desperately in search of transportation home for husband Neal from Jimmy's Pub.
- The Ojai Valley Inn & Spa "Rather than trying to 'clean' this room we should just call FEMA" award: Snoop Tone
- The "Put me in, coach" award for the professor most likely to turn any "conversation" into a seemingly endless speech / mini-breakout session: Television's Jeff Macke
- The "Dressing for success" award: Phil Erlanger and his sartorial homage to Craig Stadler's 1982 Masters victory
- The "Living dedication to provoking thoughts both market and non-market related" award: Laurie McGuirk & Lisa Shultz, who have scores of Minyans and Profs wondering if Australians actually require sleep.
- The "Griswold family sport wagon travel planning" award: Fil Zucchi
- The "It doesn't matter what he says because he's big, intimidating and, therefore, right" award: Greg Weldon
- The "I'm so jealous of your hair award" (tie): Michael Santoli, Kevin Wassong, and Dr. J
- The "If I can take that guy out I'll drink like a king tonight!": Bill Meehan, missing 18 fairways but somehow managing to hit the guy driving the beer cart during the golf tournament.
- The "Conference storyteller" award (tie): Steve Shobin for his keynote speech, and Dana Patterson for advising an overly impressionable Jeff Farley to move to Australia.
- The "Set my alarm clock for Q&A time" award: Rich Gula
- The "Man on the grassy knoll in Dallas" award: Kevin Depew, the man behind the 'world's slowest strobe light' effect during Thursday morning's presentations
- The "He looks so friendly and approachable that he must be up to something" award: Bernie Schaeffer
- The "Tony Manero / Pat Boone" award: Neal Dingmann
- The "Only two things come from Texas" award: Neal Dingmann for sipping vodka and pucker all week
- The most use of the word bifurcation in less than one hour award (73): Scott Reamer
- The "You've got a great future as a sell-side analyst" award: Farley, who sat through Scotto's complexity breakout twice (to film it) only to wisely offer, "I really like the colors"
- The "Most difficult to determine whether he is trading or actually launching missiles at enemy submarines" award: Fari Hamzei
- The "How the hell does this guy show up at a bar with four women?" award: Guy Alvarez
- The "Image is everything" award, for wearing a Justin Timberlake-esqe skull cap in the Caifornia summer weather: Jon "Chachi" Schwartz
- The Suzi Quatro / leather tuscadero risky wristband fashion statement award: Again, Jon "Chachi" Schwartz
- The "Savvy soothsaying sommelier" award: Jeff Saut
- The "I strangely found myself agreeing with Tony Dwyer and Michael Thompson while on painkillers for my bad back" award: John Succo
- The "There is no I in 'TEAM' but there sure as heck is an I in 'Kevin'" award: Kevin Wassong, for pricing out gaudy "I hit a Grand Slam" rings and circling up with the PR folks to determine if it was worthy of a press release immediately after the game
- The "Lou Pinella Dancing on the line between competitive and wound-dangerously-tight" award: Jim Bridges
- The "Hey, Napa Valley called... they want all their wine back" award: Sal Morreale Runner up: The "Hey buddy it's a wine tasting, not a wine guzzling tour" award: Alan Millstein
- The "Fundamentals are bolshevik" award: Vitaliy Katsenelson
- The "Most strikeouts in one day (excluding softball)" award: Fokker. Note this is Fokker's second award in this category.
- The "Hilary Swank First Oscar Speech "I'm 'sure' I've remembered to thank just about everyone who means anything to me or did any work on this" award: Todd Harrison, who earlier was 35,000 feet above the Red States thanking Vanessa again (albeit not in a key-note). Remember, brother, "the purpose of the gurney is the gurney itself."
- The "Pavlov's Bell, relaxation-triggering sound" award: Vanessa Ohayon, whose "vacation" began at the exact same moment the band arrived on-stage at the Barn Dance. Runner up: the entire Ojai staff who felt an immense sense of relief the moment Vanessa left the resort on Monday.
- The "One look at your daughter's friend and suddenly I'm registering a TD sequential countdown 13" award: Tom DeMark
- The "Hey, have you met my girlfriend, Emmanuelle?" award: Lionel Ohayon (who also gets an award for failing to remember any MV staffer names over the past year, after 10 introductions over the last year... and still counting).
- The "Hey, you're getting in this golf cart, Farley, and you're going to like it" award: Wendy Wanderman
- The "Man, I wish Michael Gat had taken my photo" award (tie): Collins, Rich Gula, Michael Santoli
- The Johnny Quest "Neat as a pin and perfectly groomed 24/7" award: 'Wishbone' David Miller
- The Ian-Baker Finch "Golf is a cruel mistress and she's taking a cat o' nine tales to me today" award: Collins for his approach on 12 which caromed off the cart path, onto the roof of the resort and into a flower pot just outside of the courtyard next to MVHQ (we don't think he was aiming for anybody).
- The "Without you we are nothing" award: The most important award of the weekend goes to all the Minyans who made the trek to MiM2! It was a special weekend and a true delight to get to know the folks and share our vision with you all!
We'll see you next year!
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter