By Todd Harrison Aug 19, 2003 11:57 am
Heck, Fleck, we might BE the minority!
- "Buck Melanoma, Moley Russell's wart."
- Watch S&P 1005 as it's yet another level on traders' radars.
- There is a thin line between adaptation and capitulation.
- "To cheat is French. To get caught is American."
- There's been a lot of chatter that the VIX doesn't matter anymore and, if we removed the bubble, it's actually at the upper end of the historical range. That, in a nutshell, is why the it DOES matter--the bubble created capacity that will take many years to fully absorb and we can't just ignore it.
- To cure hiccups...Put your fingers in your ears, and get a friend to slowly feed you a glass of water. Try it. It works
- Agile Software (AGIL:NASD), Hewlett Packard (HPQ:NYSE), Intuit (INTU:NASD) and Network Appliance (NTAP:NASD) highlight tonight's earnings.
- The volume is light but the breadth smells good.
- In the wake of the 1929 Wall Street crash, more than 2000 US banks had collapsed, foreign trade had fallen by 50% and unemployment had reached 25% (by 1932).
- I Thought Snoop's piece this morning was intelligent, well thought out and presented in a compelling fashion. I don't happen to agree with its conclusions but I certainly respect the accuracy of its past signals.
- If you think this week is thin, wait till next week!
- Michael Vick was a big loss for fans of the game.
- The dilemma in our midst: the charts are either breaking out (SOX, INDU) or eyeing breakouts (S&P, NDX) and that's clearly bullish. However, the harshest melts typically occur after the technicians give their nod of approval. In other words, does the broader tape HAVE to break out if she's to travel the path of maximum frustration?
- When Heinz ketchup leaves the bottle, it travels at a rate of 25 miles per year.
- Somebody is buying the schnitz out of .30 upside punts in Microsoft (MSFT:NASD).
- Gold has reversed and is attempting to gain some traction.
- Alotta traders are pointing to a potential breakout in the greenback.
- It takes over 42 coffee beans to make an espresso.
- Saudi Arabia remains a huge wild card to global stability.
- The Critters Choice Awards is coming to Manhattan! Wait'll Otis sees us...he loves us!
- Fannie Mae (FNM:NYSE) acts like someone kicked it in the shin.
- I was admittedly rusty on Squawk Box after a year's television hiatus. It'll get better as I get, ya know, more comfortable.
- Reminder to self: get a flashlight and a battery powered radio.
- Housing bubble + debt bubble + derivative bubble = bubble trouble.
- How many of the blackout pressers have covered up and licked their wounds?
- "Here's a quarter. Why don't you go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!"
- Fokker was in such a bad mood yesterday, I couldn't even tool on him.
- Thank you Minyan Adam Michael.
- The Critters Choice Animated Auction will likely begin the week after labor day. Be a part of the Wall Street adventure!
- My buddy Fleck and I just chatted and, while we're in the minority, we agree that the statistical probability of a melt is higher than most suspect and increasing daily. The biggest issues remain timing and price points.
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory should be required viewing for all children.
- Will I ever run out of random thoughts?
- The average lifespan for a major league baseball is seven pitches.
- Why do people get embarrassed when they buy toilet paper?
- Minyan poll (and just curious): Are you certain that Thursday's blackout was a legitimate goof? Please send your answer to email@example.com.
- Diggin' the critters? Wear 'em proud! There continue to be sightings of the menagerie all over the world!
- No overtrading, please.
position in spx, fnm
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter