Sometimes, when I sense myself hoping, I'll turn my charts upside down for a fresh perspective.
- How can u just leave me standing? Alone in a world that's so cold? Prince Bernanke has spoken and he made a concerted effort to keep the dove cheeks dry. The first two lines---that "moderation" is underway and "past policy must be taken into account" are sorta what we were vibing on Monday (bullish for asset classes and negative for the US dollar). The question, from where I stand, is two-fold: sustainability and credibility.
- I got out of the way on some shorts (Monday) and have some core metal and energy names (although I'm admittedly nervous on the latter matter). What I'm currently trying to measure is degree, both in terms of longevity and with regard to the collective psychology. I can't imagine there's a ton of confidence in the Fed these days and, as we know, a failure from here will only exacerbate the spates of hate.
- With that said, Boo's crew may have to chill their heels. With breadth 5:1 positive, the dollar at session lows (-50 bips), the financials en fuego (BKX through 108) and initial resistance well above (S&P 1264 and NDX 1510), the bovine feel fine to these ol' eyes. I offer those thoughts with a conscious nod to time horizon and with hopes that we can make some shekels on our collective journey.
- And with that 'that' said, geopolitical headline risks remain. Please keep that right hand up.
- Is there anything more fun than sitting on a runway for hours (wearing a suit) in triple digit heat and no air conditioning? (That was me yesterday.)
- Are the June lows in the S&P and Russell the Cliff Branch for the technical set?
- And then there were ten...
Manhattan Minyans--I typically don't do this (in fact, I've never done this) but a (very sharp) professor is looking for office space midtown (ASAP). One large office, three people and--take me at my word--you want these types of thinkers close by. Please ping me directly if you've got any thoughts.
- Wow, imagine what I can do with four carrots!
- Are you watching the names that report earnings and reminding yourself that the reaction to news is often more important than the news itself?
- Are there really only 22 days until Minyans massively migrate to the mountains?
- The weekly Investor's Intelligence survey finds a slight decrease in bullish sentiment to 42.1% from 42.2% and a small increase in bearish sentiment to 33.7% from 33.3% prior.
- No wonder the advertising market is puking!
- Can you feel the beat within my heart? Can you see my love shine through the dark?
- How bout some snaps to the Professorship for some seriously snazzy content yesterday?
- Do you understand the difference between loss and loss?
- CRB 330-335 is the multi-year trendline and the 200-day moving average in commodity land. IF we break that zone, you can expect to hear the D-word (deflation) creep into the mainstream media.
- You should see the one that got away!
- The BAC and JPM (and yesterday C) reports show that what money banks are making, it is capital markets (trading and merger advice) and credit cards. The more risky stuff. For BAC net interest margins fell from $385 mln to flat. Regional banks that don't have this risky activity must be having a tough time."
John Succo on today's Buzz (he has positions in JPM, BAC and C )
- While all eyes are on Yahoo's pooh (-18%), CDWC (a stealth tech proxy) is quietly rising 5% on the heels of earnings.
- Sometimes, when I sense myself hoping, I'll turn my charts upside down for a fresh perspective. Sounds goofy but you should try it sometime.
- T-minus eight hours till Succofest. Just in time...
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter