Windy City Randoms
Hit 'em where they're not, Minyans
"It's 300 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!"
--Jake and Elwood Blues, The Blues Brothers.
Greetings from Northbrook, Illinois, where men are men and sheep are nervous. I'll be scribin' some vibe with the Midwest tribe before joining our troops at the Chicago Traders Expo later today. Many thanks to Minyan Mark Kellner (and his bride Michele) for their hospitality, wit and wisdom. It's the Minyanville magic at work--human capital, pure and simple.
As the never-ending road trip continues, I'll ask ye faithful for lenience on the format front as I share the chaos theory that is my crowded keppe. Alas, a few Randoms...
- We've again started to eye the "rising tide" (lifting all asset classes) vs. pressure on the greenback. The question, from 40,000 feet, is whether uncertainty in Euroland continues to cloud that dynamic and--dare I say--paints the greenback as a picture of relative stability.
- Meehan and Farley rejoice that I'm out of town.
- Sands through the isolationist hourglass.
- And Nyet, the world continues to rotate.
- Why are dog shows categorized as sports?
- Checking in with Minyan Marc Faber.
- At least they didn't call the kettle black!
- Sitting with Minyan Mark last night--who's been trading since I've been dating--we talked about the value of "traders eyes." When the Minx didn't dent on the terrorist bombings, there was a "decent shot" that they'd keep going on Friday (inertia and psychology make for a powerful combination).
- The obvious question is then begged--how long can it go? The "eyes" have it--for now--but a delicate balance exists between confidence and complacency. Hoofy will bravely point to the all-time highs in multiple sectors, wink at Elmer, and scream "Engine room, more steam!" Boo, bruised as he is and conscious that perception is reality, keeps muttering something about the toughest fades being the most lucrative.
I told them both, as I'm apt to do, to define their risk. Regardless of their posture, discipline beats hope and crazy's on the bus.
- The only true regret in life is having any regrets.
- Why do I think of Louis Winthorpe III whenever I'm in Chi-town?
- Ophelia, my sweet ophelia...
- If the semis (through SOX 450) and the piggies (through BKX 100) assume the leadership baton, Boo could find his marbles in a vice.
- Monkey see, monkey chew.
- T-minus four more days till the worm is gone to the early bird.
- And T-minus twelve days left till Prince Macke graces us with his presence.
- Why don't you call me sometime when you have no (middle) class!
- "I recently sold a house in Laguna for $3.5 million. It was on about 2,000 square feet of land, maybe a twentieth of an acre, and the house might cost about $500,000 if you wanted to replace it. So the land sold for something like $60million an acre." - Warren Buffett
- I am Hanz (and I am Franz) and we're here to pump YOU up!
- Over the last three nights, my average hours per night sleep has suffered from an organic two for one split.
- Don't worry--my dad's a TV repairman and he's got an awesome set of tools!
- More 'flation debation!
- "If the energy sector is removed from the S&P 500 index, the remaining 9 sectors would have a growth rate of 4.6%." - First Call
- Will the real Pledge Farley please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.
- I'll likely be radio silence for the next two days as President Fish has me kissing hands and shaking babies (or something like that). One of the many balances I'm trying to achieve is keeping a foot in the 'Ville and an eye on the tape as we build the Critter Nation. Thanks kindly for your patience as we walk that line and share our journey.
- Good luck today.
Daily Recap Newsletter