Stocks to Watch: FedEx, JetBlue, Goldman Sachs, Level 3, Pfizer, Vonage
And they're off...
Stocks to Watch for Monday, June 5
- Accuride Corporation (ACW) said International Truck and Engine Corp. has awarded Accuride's Fabco unit a contract to provide front-drive axles and transfer cases.
- Bob Evans Farms (BOBE) is expected to report earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 37 cents, according to the two analysts polled by Thomson First Call.
- FedEx (FDX) the large express shipper, was slapped with $61 million in penalties Friday after losing a racial-harassment lawsuit. Two drivers of Lebanese descent, who claimed they were repeatedly subjected to racial slurs by a FedEx manager, successfully sued the shipper for failing to enforce its own anti-discrimination policies. The court awarded the men $11 million in punitive damages in addition to $50 million in compensatory damages. FedEx said it will appeal.
- A group led by Goldman Sachs (GS) may be preparing to make a 10 billion-pound offer to buy BAA, owner of seven large British airports including Heathrow, according to media reports. Spain's Ferrovial has already offered to pay 9.5 billion pounds for Banro (BAA) (BAAPY) and may up its proposal before a Monday deadline. If that happens, the Goldman-led group could then make a higher offer of its own, the reports said.
- Harrah's Operating Company, a subsidiary of Harrah's Entertainment (HET) , said it plans to offer $750 million of its 6.5% senior notes due 2016.
- JetBlue (JBLU) won a government auction for an air-ground spectrum license with a $7.02 million bid placed through LiveTV LLC, its entertainment subsidiary, according to a media report.
- Level 3 Communications, Inc. (LVLT) today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Looking Glass Networks, Inc., a privately held facilities-based provider of metropolitan transport services for a total of $165 mln.
- A Chinese court has upheld Viagra-maker Pfizer's (PFE) patent for the anti-impotence pill, overturning a previous decision.
- Ryan's (RYAN) said same-restaurant sales for the four weeks ended May 31 fell by 1.7% compared with the year-ago period. Total sales for the month were $65.3 million, down 3% from a year ago, the Greer, S.C.-based restaurant chain said.
- Sepracor Inc. (SEPR) said it has received a letter of inquiry from the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting documents about the company's stock-option grants and practices.
- Smith & Wollensky Restaurant (SWRG) said comparable consolidated restaurant sales for May were $9.3 million, 3.9% less than during the same period in the prior year. Total consolidated sales for the month were $9.7 million, down 6.9% from last year.
- Tier (TIER) said it has received a subpoena from the Philadelphia District Office of the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting documents about financial reporting and personnel issues.
- Vonage faces (VG) lawsuit over claims that it improperly steered consumers toward investing in its $531 million IPO. Meanwhile, Net2Phone sued Skype alleging the eBay unit infringed on an Internet calling patent it holds.
- Werner Enterprises (WERN) raised its quarterly dividend 13% to 4.5 cents from 4 cents a share. The dividend is payable July 18 to shareholders of record as of July 3, the Omaha, Neb.-based trucking and logistics company said.
- Asian trading closed with the Hang Seng gaining +0.65%, the Nikkei falling -0.77% and the Sensex down -2.28%
- A quick check across the pond finds the CAC -0.40%%, DAX -0.60% and FTSE +0.22%.
- Crude oil is trading up +1.24 to 73.57 while gold is up +9.1 to 650.1
THIS CONTENT IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES AND IS NOT INTENDED AS ADVICE.
Minyanville contributors may trade securities that are discussed on the site, both before and after the articles are published and/or may have a position in such securities for either personal or firm account(s). Minyanville contributors will indicate whether he or the firm has a position in stocks or other securities in any of the companies he discusses in an article. He will not disclose his or the firm's ownership of any securities issued by companies that are not discussed in an article. The disclosures will be accurate as of the time of publication of an article and may change at any time thereafter without notice to the reader.
The information on this website reflects an analysis of market conditions by Minyanville contributors and should not be interpreted as or deemed to be a recommendation to any investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security. Any investment decisions must in all cases be made by the reader or by his or her investment adviser. Minyanville contributors will not respond to requests for individual and specific investment advice.
The views expressed on this website are solely those of the writers whose articles appear on this site and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Fund or of any other person except where expressly indicated.
Copyright 2006 Minyanville Publishing and Multimedia, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter