Ambiguously Worded Predictions of the Future
"I'm serious... the next person to clap those thunderstick noisemakers gets gored."
- FedEx (FDX), down 6 bucks plus yesterday and blamed oil (along with increasing price competition) also overpaid for Kinko's. Average price was $2 Million per unit. Nice sell by Kinko's.
Re-read that "Rising price competition" line. FedEx actually thought it important enough to list competition before oil when running through their excuse checklist.
That sounds a whole lot like the airline industry, to me. If so, FedEx is looking a lot more like United (CHAP11) than Southwest (LUV). It's worth noting that UPS (UPS) opted against sending FedEx flowers, choosing instead to reaffirm their own estimates. I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx buy their gas at price-comparable places.
- It's not the news, it's the reaction. $60 crude has been right-there for a while. So neither that nor a shipping company not liking it was hugely surprising. Nor was the pugnacious idiocy of the elected help in their quizzing of Greenspan.
I'm not saying they don't Matter. I'm saying a better tape would have regarding FedEx as being FedEx-specific news and the rest as SOP.
- Micron (MU) coughed up a hairball last night, missing big on revenues and getting ka-rushed on margins. If the SMH were a Looney Tunes cartoon, this would be the point at which Wile E. Coyote realized that he was suspended over a yawning chasm, furiously pumping his paws in mid-air.
- NASCAR, PGA, the NFL. America's new Big Three sports?
- Uppity new guy
Teasing honorable liege
While face-down on chair
Would that be a Haiku or fortune cookie?
- I'm not saying I can prove it or that there are any overt clues. I'm just saying... if I'm Danny Zuko, at some point in the future not too far beyond driving into the clouds, I'm going to be wondering where Knickie was when Sandy was learning to be Leathery.
- It's personal again, Detroit.
- Stay cool like Fonzie today, Minyans. It figures to probe downward with what the Kennedy's used to call "Vig-AH" (vigor) today. Panic rarely wins.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter