By Todd Harrison Jun 21, 2004 12:42 pm
This tape is slow--even by my standards!
- Who has nuts at the end of their meal anyway?
- "If we study the lives of great men and women carefully and unemotionally we find that, invariably, greatness was developed, tested and revealed through the darker periods of their lives. One of the largest tributaries on the river of greatness is always the stream of adversity." - Robert Cavett
- I saw White Goodman in action yesterday and while there were some very funny parts, it's not Ben's best bet.
- Keep an ear to the ground regarding this UK/Iran naval situation please.
- The XBD (brokers) slink into the red despite the Matador City chants of "merger Monday!" While the stochastics for this group are close to a buy signal, they continue to dangle near '04 lows. All of this must be digested in front of tomorrow's double dose of broker verbose.
- The retail sector is brushing off a soggy Wal-Mart (WMT:NYSE) and, after sneaking out to multiyear highs earlier in the month, is retesting the acne zone.
- I assume there's a layaway plan?
- I got stopped outa my silver position near the opening levels as my stops were raised to uber-tight status. Why? The "kiss of death" resistance at $6ish, further ceilings near $6.20 and the fact it was a pure trade.
- Vacations with laptops aren't true vacations.
- Phil Jackson gone. Shaq wants out. The mailman is going postal. Kobe testin' free agency. Sorry Jdog!
- From Lehman's talented Jeff DeGraff: "Until momentum rolls over, it's difficult to support the bear case, and until a trend confirmation through 1147 on the SPX, it's difficult to press the bull case."
- Wanna spend a few days with your favorite Minyanville professors and assorted guest lecturers? Do you like BBQ's, mountain biking, softball or doing absolutely nothing at all? The Minyan Mountain retreat is two months from today and promises to be an awesome time. Please check it out!
- Crude, down 2%, continues to buoy equity sentiment.
- Heads up--Fed head Bernanke will speak at 1pm.
- When in doubt, sit it out.
- Brazil (+1.5%) continues to trade firm.
- Single digit VXO? Oofa...
- The BKX 200-day support is 96ish and the breakdown resistance is BKX 98ish. Got it?
- Greg Weldon, who was slated to begin today, will likely be a few more sessions. Sorry 'bout that.
- Discipline trumps conviction.
- I always thought that Blockbuster was a short back in the day (when the idea of video on demand was still in its infancy). Now, as Viacom (VIA:NYSE) sheds the dead weight, it's clear that they share a similar mindset. Why do I bring this up? Because it's possible to be right but still be very wrong in your application of a trade. That circles back to the importance of the previous random.
- 8000 hedgies standing in a circle and shooting at each other.
- I try not to take midday meetings but tomorrow and Thursday are exceptions to the rule. Thanks in advance for understanding.
- Today I am 59 and tomorrow I'll be 60. Yesterday I was 22. Don't wake up at 60 and wish you had today to do all over again." -Muhammad Ali
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter