This tape is slow--even by my standards!
- Who has nuts at the end of their meal anyway?
- "If we study the lives of great men and women carefully and unemotionally we find that, invariably, greatness was developed, tested and revealed through the darker periods of their lives. One of the largest tributaries on the river of greatness is always the stream of adversity." - Robert Cavett
- I saw White Goodman in action yesterday and while there were some very funny parts, it's not Ben's best bet.
- Keep an ear to the ground regarding this UK/Iran naval situation please.
- The XBD (brokers) slink into the red despite the Matador City chants of "merger Monday!" While the stochastics for this group are close to a buy signal, they continue to dangle near '04 lows. All of this must be digested in front of tomorrow's double dose of broker verbose.
- The retail sector is brushing off a soggy Wal-Mart (WMT:NYSE) and, after sneaking out to multiyear highs earlier in the month, is retesting the acne zone.
- I assume there's a layaway plan?
- I got stopped outa my silver position near the opening levels as my stops were raised to uber-tight status. Why? The "kiss of death" resistance at $6ish, further ceilings near $6.20 and the fact it was a pure trade.
- Vacations with laptops aren't true vacations.
- Phil Jackson gone. Shaq wants out. The mailman is going postal. Kobe testin' free agency. Sorry Jdog!
- From Lehman's talented Jeff DeGraff: "Until momentum rolls over, it's difficult to support the bear case, and until a trend confirmation through 1147 on the SPX, it's difficult to press the bull case."
- Wanna spend a few days with your favorite Minyanville professors and assorted guest lecturers? Do you like BBQ's, mountain biking, softball or doing absolutely nothing at all? The Minyan Mountain retreat is two months from today and promises to be an awesome time. Please check it out!
- Crude, down 2%, continues to buoy equity sentiment.
- Heads up--Fed head Bernanke will speak at 1pm.
- When in doubt, sit it out.
- Brazil (+1.5%) continues to trade firm.
- Single digit VXO? Oofa...
- The BKX 200-day support is 96ish and the breakdown resistance is BKX 98ish. Got it?
- Greg Weldon, who was slated to begin today, will likely be a few more sessions. Sorry 'bout that.
- Discipline trumps conviction.
- I always thought that Blockbuster was a short back in the day (when the idea of video on demand was still in its infancy). Now, as Viacom (VIA:NYSE) sheds the dead weight, it's clear that they share a similar mindset. Why do I bring this up? Because it's possible to be right but still be very wrong in your application of a trade. That circles back to the importance of the previous random.
- 8000 hedgies standing in a circle and shooting at each other.
- I try not to take midday meetings but tomorrow and Thursday are exceptions to the rule. Thanks in advance for understanding.
- Today I am 59 and tomorrow I'll be 60. Yesterday I was 22. Don't wake up at 60 and wish you had today to do all over again." -Muhammad Ali
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter