By Marcus Laun May 24, 2004 1:01 pm
- Adriana--SEE YA!
- Is this 1994? No, it's 2004...and I'll maintain that the war & the bubble make this period unique. That's been my main beef with all of these historical comparisons--we're coming out of the biggest financial bubble in history. Does it really make intuitive sense that we'll follow the mold, er, script?
- It's uber-quiet. Bearish tell (lower volume rally attempts) or seasonal sniffles?
- I prefer July options to June. Why? June 30 is Elmer's Zoo and the Iraqi handoff.
- Optimism still abounds.
- With the exception of a brief blip higher (the head?), the QQQ has been shouldering along at the same price since October.
- Three generations of Minyans! Congrats to Sol, Dan and mini-Minyan Benjamin on the new addition!
- There are more people in China who speak English than there are in the United States.
- I still feel that the ultimate unraveling of financial markets will be triggered by a crisis of confidence.
- Too many barbies, not enough shrimp.
- I had a very nice sit down with Dr. Marc Faber on Friday. No promises--but I believe that there's a good shot at him writing an occasional column for the 'Ville. Boo has already dusted off a seat!
- Hope isn't a viable investment vehicle on the short side either.
- Kerry Collins...Greg Collins...vodka Collins!
- Alligator ARMS!
- Other than humans, pigs are the only animals that can get sunburn
- Speaking of which...I am officially back on my diet. Between the back pain and the stomach gain, I feel like an old man. It's time to take matters--rather than food--into my own hands! My mantra? Ten less by 35!
- To quote my pal (and uber-technical analyst) John Roque: "Strong stocks and markets bounce quickly off of support. The inability of the S&P to bounce, so far, off its 200-day moving average is a concern."
- In the city--of L.A. In the city--of Watts. In the city of Compton (city of Compton) we keep on rockin'...we keep on rockin'.
- Carrie is sniffin' at her corsage.
- The word "checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat, "which means "the king is dead."
- Fear vs. Fear. Be very sure that before you begin discussing the levels of angst in the market, you qualify it with a time frame. I'm fairly certain that we're a WAYS away from genuine longer-term fear.
- I'm diggin' the Iron Horse and his new fear measure.
- It's lookin' like the weekend of August 21st for the Minyan Mountain Minglefest and although we don't have anything "set" yet, circle that date. I think that this will be an awesome time and allow the Minyan family to vibe with one another.
- Citigroup (C:NYSE) just ticked red for the first time today.
- Happy birthday Bob Dylan!
- Dubya is tawkin' tonight--be on the lookout for pre-speech posturing.
- Amazing--the clock ticks 12:30 and the "Randoms???" instant messages start popping up.
- I'm quickly earning a reputation as Maia's silly uncle.
- Crude up 5.55%. This was widely recognized as one of the rally catalysts this morning.
- Breadth still smells a'right, though, with two winners greeting each loser on the NYSE.
- Why does asparagus...you know..."smell" like it does?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter