By Todd Harrison May 20, 2003 12:32 pm
What are the chances of this slithery tape staying in this range all week?
- Traders who pressed Home Depot (HD:NYSE) on the Lowe's (LOW:NYSE) earnings got squeezed. Traders who bought Lowe's on Home Depot's earnings got spanked. Minxy!
- The PPH (Pharmaceutical HOLDRs) would have broken a triple top at 80 but never confirmed the signal. As Jack Skiba used to say when referring to Dorsey Wright analysis, "Never anticipate the anticipator!"
- The dollar is (yawn) starting to slip again.
- Did you know Fokker was the editor of his high school newspaper? Maybe that's why he still hangs around the local high schools so much.
- While my favorite vacations typically involve some hiking and mountain biking in Zona, I'm excited to visit Maine for the first time.
- If I had my druthers, I'd be somewhere between "less filling" and "tastes great."
- Is there any wonder why there's a perceived shelf-life among traders?
- Lock Casey and I in a room for few hours and good things always happen. Can you imagine what five days is gonna produce?
- I think they should enter Osama Bin Laden into this year's Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- How many of you yawned when reading the dollar blurb above?
- Setting stops removes emotional variance.
- Can you imagine how many random thoughts I've written this year? Makes for good bathroom reading, no?
- Did you know that Morgan Freeman started out as a soap opera actor?
- When does the blood-letting end in big-cap pharma?
- There's chatter of a surprise Elmer snip out there.
- I've used this before but it's still funny: How come as we get older, it's easier to lose money and harder to lose weight? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
- Emma Kahn. Emma Kahn. Emma Kahn, lemme love you, lemme rock you Emma Kahn, let me love you. that's all I wanna do, Emma Kahn.
- Arugala. It's a veg-e-table.
- Did I mention that Syracuse is in the Lacrosse final four?
- WHY can't In-and-Out burger have stores in New York? I lived on double doubles and strawberry shakes in high school.
- If you believe in the double-D thesis (debt/derivatives) or the dreaded triple-D thesis (debt/derivatives/deflation), Fannie Mae (FNM:NYSE) is the natural proxy.
- A whole heckuva lotta Minyan white light is being sent to Jackson Reamer.
- It's not a bike, it's a chopper baby.
- The S&P 920-925 band is tighter than my pants -- and they're fairly snug!
- Serendipity 3 remains my all-time favorite lunch venue.
- I can't believe it's summer already. Oh Sandy!
- The action in gold and the dollar paints an ominous picture for equities. It may not be today's business (there's still the up/DOWN potential) but it's something to monitor. After all, if (when) we spill, the media will make it seem obvious.
- I love my country with all my heart but I've become jaded by the political process.
- Why does chocolate frosting need cake in the first place?
- Kohl's (KSS:NYSE), Boeing (BA:NYSE), UTStarcom (UTSI:Nasdaq), Boston Scientific (BSX:NYSE), Target (TGT:NYSE), VeriSign (VRSN:Nasdaq) and Veritas (VRTS:Nasdaq) are all having analyst or shareholder meetings tomorrow.
- I was talking to my friend Mike Cahill yesterday about the stressful steps we take each day. He said something very simple: If Bill Meehan walked into your office and could say one thing to you, what would it be? I knew the answer. "Be happy, you swine, and enjoy every moment you have on this earth."
- Has anybody seen Tony "Hair" Dwyer? (He's gonna kill me for that one!)
- Tick tock.
- Swammi? Slippy? Slappy? Swenson? Swanson? Oh yeah, here it is... Samsonite!
- Ah, what the heck... it's my last day of the week. A free Minyanville FLEECE to the first person who emails firstname.lastname@example.org with the answer to the following question: How many professional (U.S.) sports franchises DON'T end with the letter "s"?
position in fnm
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter