By Todd Harrison May 15, 2003 11:37 am
Remember to await that elusive edge!
- The retailers act like pooh... again. Watch Wal-Mart (WMT:NYSE) (led them down) as the tell in that complex.
- The bond action smells like there's some serious blood on the streets. If (big if) there is an "issue" out there, the financials are the intuitive short. I'm involved -- this you know -- just thinking out loud.
- My cheapie upside front-month QQQ hedge enables me to better use prices to my advantage (and build "out month" puts into strength).
- Fokker Kahn. Fokker Kahn. Fokker Kahn lemme love you lemme rock you Fokker Kahn, lemme love you that's all I wanna do. Fokker Kahn.
- Condolences to the family of Knicks great Dave DeBusschere. A little Minyan trivia for you: When the "Big D" pitched for the Chicago White Sox, they had to decide between him and "another guy" for the last spot on the 40-man roster. They chose the Big D and released the "other guy" on waivers. Two years later, DeBusschere opted for hoops and the "other guy" made quite a name for himself. Who was it? First right answer to survey@Minyanville.com gets to sport a free Minyanville tee into the summer! (Thanks to Hawaiian Minyan Barry Finkenberg)
- Watch IBM (IBM:NYSE) and Intel (INTC:Nasdaq) as a tech trading tell today.
- The Philly Fed is due out at noon (exp. -3) and the NAHB Housing Market Index is due out at 1 p.m. (exp. 54). The CPI (exp -.1%, ex food/energy .1%), Housing Starts (exp. 1740k), Building Permits (exp. 1700k) and the Wolverine Sentiment Index (exp. 87) will be released tomorrow.
- I'm planning on a spending at least one weekend this summer in Vermont.
- The breadth, while well off its best levels, is hangin' positive.
- Dell (DELL:Nasdaq) and Kohl's (KSS:NYSE) report after the close tonight, Dillard's (DDS:NYSE) reports before tomorrow's opening.
- Have a question you'd like answered on the site? Send your Minyan Mailbag queries to Charlotte-Anne by the end of today's session!
- Patience is a trading virtue.
- Dark Star Orchestra is coming to Irving Plaza.
- Traders were telling me last week that the bid in the Internet space was a function of a "short Internet" fund going under. I obviously can't confirm and I clearly should have passed it along then but I forgot. Sorry.
- I would take Carmello over LeBron. Why? Too much LeBron hype and he hasn't demonstrated a consistent maturity.
- Gyros are underrated.
- The intramarket rotation continues and, if we do our jobs correctly, that should provide us with an opportunity to rotate our risk as well.
- Personally, I like the new Applemusic.com commercials... as long as they don't overplay them.
- Either I have a serious spam issue or my ex-girlfriends are trying to tell me something!
- Remember that vacation I so desperately needed a month ago? Still need it.
- Brocade (BRCD:Nasdaq) down 15%. Wow.
- Chilly Willy the Penguin was a cool cartoon. Get it?
- A gazillion economic numbers and a truckload of gamma... and the market is flat. Ya gotta smile!
- Do I WANT my big-picture thesis to unfold? No. You can't always get what you want, however, but if you try sometimes, you just might find that you get what you need.
- I remember watching the Miracle On Ice in 1980. Can you believe that was 23 years ago?
- Expiration is surely impacting the price action.
- Why did the markets rally as sharply as they did? In a word? Bush.
position in qqq, intc, ibm
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter