Table for four!
- You guys see my conscious randoms--can you imagine what goes on while I sleep?
- Congrats to Minyan Chris Gross for correctly fishin' out "too many secrets" from the movie Sneakers. For that, he wins a critter tee of his choice!
- It's been gappy and squeezy all session long.
- The NDX needs to poke through NDX 1440 to alleviate the "churning under resistance" chant from Red Dye.
- Minyan. Minyan in the mountain.
- The semis are digesting inventory issues in more ways than one.
- Junk Yard Dog!
- The two largest landowners in New York City are The Catholic Church and Columbia University.
- Before electricity was used, theater stages were illuminated by heating blocks of lime until they glowed. The characters would position themselves close to the glowing lime as they spoke their lines so they could be seen by the audience. Thus the phrase "in the limelight.'
- Leave...the kid...alone.
- Next week's trading radar include the quasi, er, semi book-to-bill and Lowes earnings (LOW:NYSE) on Monday, Home Depot (HD:NYSE), Hewlett Packard (HPQ:NYSE) and Applied Materials report on Tuesday a smattering of conferences and some obligatory Beeks. For all intents and purposes, however, we're at the mercy of psychology (both ways).
- A team of researchers concluded that herring communicate with each other via a high-pitched, "raspberry"-like sound emitted from their anuses. Since the sounds were frequent, whether the herring had eaten or not, the researchers concluded that the noise was not produced by digestive gases. [New Scientist] Thus the phrase... Well, never mind.
- Comes with a bottle of Xanax.
- Singin' cicadas!
- How much of the market's mood is the day-to-day inputs (earnings, economic data) and how much is the seeping reality of our precarious perch?
- From Professor Goepfert on the Buzz: "As I noted in a piece a few days ago, the CBOE total put/call ratio has been very high this week (showing lots of put volume as opposed to call volume - normally a bullish sign). As of yesterday, it has closed above 1.0 for six straight days - the first such occurrence in history. For a change, the large number was not due to QQQ options, which yesterday actually skewed the figure LOWER than it would have been otherwise. I've outlined theoretical weaknesses with put/call ratios before, and ways to correct for them, but despite the reasons why it shouldn't work, it continues to be one of the best guides out there. I don't think this can be used as a precise timing indicator, but to me it suggests again that we are close in time and price to a very tradable low, if it hasn't been put in already."
- The Fleck-Succo-Toddo-Boo foursome will be hoisting a few margies tonight. Please hide all sharp objects!
- Big decision time. My favorite six year old niece Maia asked if I could come to "Grandparents and special friends day" at her school next Friday. If we work to live, how do you say no to that?
- The critters have officially arrived in the big time! The next time you're in the big city and cravin' a steak, swing by The Palm 2 restaurant (45th/2nd) and check out the fab five in the main dining room. The paint is drying as I type and I've gotta tell ya...I'm kvelling! Daisy isn't thrilled but she'll get over it!
- I don't know what it is about home video but alotta folks have started to visit Paris rather than London.
- I think I finally broke Collins this morning. Think Richard Gere in Officer and a Gentleman.
- Politics, politics, politics!
- Be good to others and better to yourself.
- This grindy sideways action is alleviating some of those jiggy stochastics we discussed earlier this week.
- What is the world record for salmon sashimi ingested in one hour?
- If your mood every day is directly correlated to your P&L, you're in need of an attitude adjustment.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter