Minyanville Stocks to Watch: Avaya, Beazer Homes, Centex, Corn Products, Honeywell, Micron
What's happening, you ask? You're looking at it.
Stocks to Watch for Thursday, April 27:
- Aetna (AET) reported 1Q EPS $0.64/ FC $0.63 on revenues of $6.23bln/ FC $6.01bln, membership net adds 663k to 15.418m; sees FY EPS$2.74-$2.76/ FC $2.76.
- Akamai Technologies (AKAM) said 1Q profit fell 18%, hurt by cost of employee stock options; sales surged 50%.
- Apollo Group (APOL) upgraded to Neutral from Reduce at UBS.
- Astrazeneca (AZN) reported 1Q net $1.43bln/ FC $1.3bln on revenues of $6.18bln/FC $6.24bln; sees FY EPS $3.60-$3.90/ FC $3.36; announced company in pact with ABBI for co-promotion; ABBI to pay AZN $275m at closing, $75m in one year.
- Avaya (AV) posted a meager increase in 2Q profit, saying supply constraints hurt sales of its corporate-phone systems.
- Beazer Homes (BZH) reported 2Q EPS $2.35/ FC $2.27 on revenues of $1.27bln/ FC $1.17bln; sees FY EPS $10-$10.50/ FC $10.48; repurchased 1.01m shrs in 2Q.
- Bunge (BG) reported 1Q EPS $0.63/ FC $0.69 on revenues of $5.6bln/ FC $5.42bln; sees FY EPS $4.29-$4.46/ FC $4.24.
- Callaway Golf (ELY) said 1Q profit jumped nearly 25% helped by strong sales of its equipment lineup.
- Cendant (CD) in the process of breaking up into three separate businesses, managed a gain during the first quarter but saw several businesses report lower operating profits.
- Centex (CTX) reported F4Q earnings rose 6% from the year-earlier quarter on the strength of home-building revenue.
- China Unicom (CHU) reported 1Q net CNY1.4bln/ FC CNY1.2bln on revenues of CNY22.9bln.
- Corn Products Int'l. (CPO) reported 1Q EPS $0.31/ FC $0.31 on revenues of $614.8m/ FC $615m; sees FY EPS $1.38-$1.48/ FC $1.55.
- Dow Chemical (DOW) reported 1Q EPS $1.24/ FC $1.17 on revenues of $12.02bln/ FC $12.26bln; sees FY EPS up y/y; demand rose in March and cont into 2Q.
- DTE Energy (DTE) parent of utilities Detroit Edison and Michigan Consolidated Gas, reported an 11% rise in its quarterly profit.
- Express Scripts (ESRX) 1Q profit gains helped by merger and increased demand for generic drugs, the company said.
- Hercules (HPC) tripled its 1Q profit, improved sales volume, higher prices and the sale of a majority stake in a subsidiary helped drive gains.
- Honeywell (HON) was downgraded to underweight from neutral by J.P. Morgan on concerns over environmental liabilities.
- InfoSpace (INSP) reported 1Q profit fell nearly 97% from the same period last year, compares were against a one-time gain related to legal settlement.
- LSI Logic (LSI) reported quarterly net income grew four-fold, helped by cost cuts.
- Maxim Integrated Products (MXIM) F3Q profit declined to $0.36/share. Excluding options and items, would have been $0.45/share, meeting the average of analysts' estimates. Revenue was $478.1 million. below consensus expectations of $480.2 million, according to a Thomson First Call survey.
- Maxtor (MXO) reported a 1Q loss that grew nearly five times from a year ago, as the disk-drive maker said that its volume growth slowed ahead of its pending acquisition by Seagate Technology (STX).
- MeadWestvaco (MWV) agreed to buy Saint-Gobain Calmar, a maker of plastic dispensing systems, from Saint Gobain for $710 million in cash.
- Micron (MU) CEO Steve Appleton said company is interested in IFXs DRAM unit, according to Bloomberg TV.
- Newell Rubbermaid (NWL) reported 1Q EPS $0.19/ FC $0.12 on revenues of $1.48bln/ FC $1.41bln; sees 2Q EPS $0.39-$0.43/ FC $0.46 on revenues up low single digits/ FC $1.7bln, FY revenues up low single digits.
- Pulte Homes (PHM) said 1Q earnings climbed 20% as the company moved more homes than in the year-ago period.
- RR Donnelley (RRD) reaffims guidance; sees 1Q EPS $0.55-$0.57/ FC $0.57; awarded multi-year contract renewal by Thomas Nelson.
- Siemens (SI) reported 2Q net €887m/ FC €825m on revenues of €21.51bln, new orders €24.413bln/ FC €24bln; announced company to acquire DP for $1.86bln in cash ($58/shr); sees further charges in 2H, volume growth evening out.
- Sony (SNE) reported 4Q net (¥66.5bln) on revenues of ¥1.845bln, electronics net (¥91.9bln), games net (¥61.4bln), movies net ¥30.2bln, finance net ¥79.3bln; raised guidance; sees FY07 net ¥130bln, LCD TV shipments 6m units vs 2.8m units in FY06, PSP shipments 12m units, PS3 shipments 6m units, capex ¥460bln.
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts (HOT) reported 1Q EPS $0.41/ FC $0.34, rev par 9.8%, ex Meridien up 10.3%; sees 2Q EPS $0.58/ fC $0.56, FY eps $2.28/ FC $2.16.
- Trident Microsystems (TRID) reported 3Q net earnings $0.11/share. Pro forma earnings $0.18/share. Revenue rose to $44.7 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call had forecast 3Q earnings of $0.16/share on revenue of $41 million.
- Xilinx (XLNX) 4Q net income $0.32/share on sales of $472.3 million; plans to raise quarterly cash dividend to $0.09/share.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter