"Fore: West!!": Random Thoughts on my way to a Hukilau
"Head still, straight spine angle... keep the face closed, pull the club back and.... KILL!"
As I type Asia is getting sock-ied in the wake of a failed U.S. rally, when markets were opened, and more abuse after the Tuesday close.
In other news, I'm going to Hawaii.
Now that I've set the ADD-influenced beat for the piece, let's see what else we can scrape off the bottom of my mental barrel as the clock spins towards The Rockin' Vacation Eve midnight hour:
- I sent the eBay (EBAY) note to eBay peeps, as per my long standing policy of provoking thought with missionary zeal. The feedback ranged from "Stop it... please" to something resembling mewling. Be sure to read next week when I walk some teenage orphans through their odds of adoption ("You are each more likely to get struck by lightning twice the day you win the lottery, get drafted by the NBA and sign a record deal!").
- Speaking of drafts, another year, another opportunity missed for NFL teams in need of an undersized, slow but spirited defensive end. "Professional football tackles spend every waking moment plotting ways to stop big, fast guys. They haven't seen the likes of me since we were being run over by the likes of Bronco Nagurski!"
- Welcome back, Family Guy, returning Sunday night. Please don't bitterly disappoint me.
- Junctures like we're at right here, right now, were maddening when I was running OPM. "Someday this selling is gonna end. On the other hand... wow, that was a pretty easy pile-on short once the rally faded yesterday... I mean, if they try to take this piggy green tomorrow wouldn't blasting the living (stuff) of the bid be as easy as money gets in this crazy, mixed up hill of beans world. Damn the absinthe."
Now I'm going golfing, mildly annoyed that I haven't been able to put much money to work. It's not that I don't care about the P&L anymore; a man does have to eat. It's just that I don't feel any pressure whatsoever to trade for the sake of trading. Indeed, I regard (and have always regarded) that pressure to be just about the best "tell" ever that you should just go home.
It used to be tough to walk away, despite knowing that was the better play. Short of the unlikely chance that I miss a down 3% type of day, I'm more or less feeling like this is a perfect tape to do a bit less trading and a bit more teeing.
- On the topic of Maddening, thank you to all who sent feedback regarding the Langone thing. And, drifting into a topical minefield of opportunities to blow myself up any number of ways, I delicately offer thanks to those who noticed a similarity between my text and that being broadcast elsewhere.
Throwing it out there in a Big Toe manner, I was moved by the Minyanship getting all puffy in my defense. Since some of you seemed genuinely concerned I feel compelled to put this type of thing to rest now, if only so I can simply link back to this column, should it come up in the future.
In short, I spend a grand total of zero (0) time trying to decipher whether I or any other profs have unwittingly (and non-creditedly) provided, shall we say, "background research and phrasing assistance". Two good reasons for that. First, it's all good in the sense that I expect the 'Ville to change the financial world in a lot of ways. Doing so is why we are here. It is our raison d'etre. Recognizing our work cropping up in the thoughts of others is a decent sign that we're not howling into at the moon.
Second, the Ville really can't be effectively appropriated. If we deserve to be considered a value-adding concern we ought be able to make this up as we go along. Real time. That's the whole idea. The way for others to be incorporate Ville-ness into their world isn't imitation but partnership. That's going to seem quite obvious to all would-be partners, in retrospect.
Our job is to simply do what we do in a continuously improving way.
With that, I bid you all Aloha, leaving you in more than capable hands.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter