By Todd Harrison Apr 23, 2003 12:13 pm
Wherefore art thou, mojo?
- To be clear, I am still firmly of the opinion that Boo will have the last laugh. However, I strive to make my metaphorical imagery an extension of my current posture and I must be consistent with my fellow Minyans. I've received a bunch of emails asking me if I'm bullish now. The answer is no. I'm simply respecting the process, playing tighter and taking a half a step back.
- Today is Valerie Bertinelli's birthday. Somebody tell Schneider!
- A lot of technicians are watching Dow 8521 as a make or break zone.
- Storage trades dry, software trades heavy.
- The vision of Minyanville as an educational community continues to evolve. I had dinner last night with a couple of professors and they're pretty psyched. We'll be announcing the inaugural faculty staff on May 1!
- BKX 800 here we go again.
- If you had to pick either Shaq or Kobe to start a franchise, who'd you choose?
- When the markets up, nobody wants to hear the bear case. When the markets down, nobody wants to hear the bull case. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
- Emma should be a Minyan.
- When in doubt, sit it out.
- Has the "zag trade" (sell hope and buy despair) fallen prey to the momentum monsters of yesteryore? It may feel like it, but remember that the best fades are the toughest fades.
- I agree with Tony's observation that stock selection and sector rotation will offer compelling opportunities vs. directional tape trading.
- I met Jeff Gordon recently. I never realized how little the fella was.
- When's the last time that you didn't feel tied to the opening and closing bells of the market?
- Just be yourself, sir. No matter what happens, they can't that away from you.
- Pop Quiz: What animal was featured on Derek Zoolander's pajamas when he screamed for an orange mocha frappachino? The first correct answer sent to email@example.com gets a kickin' new Minyanville Tee!
- If you're stressing about every flickering tick in a particular position, you're too big in that name.
- College Minyans are pouring into Minyanville and that's AWESOME. If you're a student and you're reading this, I've got two things to say. One, Syracuse Hoops! Two, please take the time and spread the Minyan word as far and wide as possible. Forward it to your school's investment club, your friends and family or, heck, even your pledges! We provide our site for free to anybody with a .edu email and would GREATLY appreciate your help!
- The dollar, while firm, is off its early highs.
- Take the gun, leave the cannoli.
- Mea culpa on putting the image of Daisy in a butterscotch thong out there. Now, please, curb your enthusiasm and chill with the sexually explicit emails to her!
- Doesn't it seem like everyone thinks S&P 930ish is a gimme?
- 3M (MMM:NYSE) went from a stud to a dud in a hurry.
- Snaps to Casey on her tireless effort and unconditional support. Wait until you see what she's got in the cooker -- it'll knock your socks off!
- A shout out to all of our troops in the Middle East -- it's been "quiet" but you're still in our thoughts and prayers.
- If China fudged the SARS numbers, how comfortable can we be with their growth estimates?
- Callaway Golf (ELY:NYSE), Chiron (CHIR:Nasdaq), KLA-Tencor (KLAC:Nasdaq), LSI Logic (LSI:NYSE), Qualcomm (QCOM:Nasdaq), Siebel Systems (SEBL:Nasdaq), Symantec (SYMC:Nasdaq) and Veritas Software (VRTS:Nasdaq) (among others) report tonight. Aetna (AET:NYSE), American International Group (AIG:NYSE), Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY:NYSE), International Paper (IP:NYSE), Kellogg (K:NYSE), Nortel (NT:NYSE), Pulte Homes (PHM:NYSE) and SBC (SBC:NYSE) (among others) report tomorrow morning.
- Don't forget that the Beige Book is due out at 2 p.m. EDT. Durable Goods (expected -.5%) and Jobless Claims (expected 425,000) are due tomorrow.
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter