Sorry!! The article you are trying to read is not available now.
Thank you very much;
you're only a step away from
downloading your reports.

Optimal f

By

TOO much risk.

PrintPRINT

I firmly believe that the key to effective money management over long periods of time is controlling risk. In fact, most investors and money managers ignore risk and concentrate on return, balancing a portfolio by weighting it highly toward those assets they believe will "perform" the best. In other words they balance a portfolio too heavily toward "risky" assets.

This ignores the possibility of "what can go wrong" and the benefit in such a case of having a certain part of the portfolio in "less risky" assets. This prevents the investor from committing financial anathema: selling assets at a loss solely because too much risk has been assumed.

The average equity mutual fund holds only 4% of its assets in cash, a level that hasn't changed much in the last few years and one of the lowest levels in history. Make no mistake, investing in equity mutual funds is not an allocation process between risky stocks and cash based on valuation; they are a stock market surrogate, pure and simple.

So when investing in a mutual fund, treat it like any other asset or asset class: allocate a portion to it among other assets to maximize risk-adjusted returns. So how do we do this?

Optimal f is a method, a guideline, of managing a portfolio by maintaining a constant proportion called "f" in risky assets. This requires a constant rebalancing based on expected risk-adjusted returns between risk-less and risky assets to keep this proportion the same. This is how it works for a gambler; it works the same for an investor.

Suppose a player is given $1000 (or any finite amount) and can risk any amount repeatedly in a game where a player has an edge.

If she bets $1 she wins W dollars with probability P or loses L dollars with probability (1-P) (the total probability is 1).

The best strategy for the player to maximize her "expected winnings" is to risk in each game a fixed fraction f of his total capital such that:

f = ((W X P) - (L X (1-P))) / W

For example, if the game is such that the player betting $1 wins W=2 dollars with probability P=0.4 or 40% or loses L=1 dollar with probability 1-P = 0.6 or 60%, her optimal f is:

f = ((2 * 0.4) - (1 * 0.6)) / 2 = 10%

The player should always risk 10% of her current capital per game.

If the probabilities are not known for sure, it is possible to prove that for a player it is better to be conservative than aggressive: under-risking will result in the less than maximal winning amount, but over-risking can result in the loss of the whole capital before the probabilities are allowed to work. In portfolio trading practice, this rule translates into a multiple simulation of the portfolio looking at each trade as a probabilistic bet.

The most important point is that when probabilities are not certain, it is better to be more conservative: err by assuming higher risk (a lower probability) for risky assets. This will result in a less than optimal return, but a too aggressive approach may lead to unexpected and unacceptable losses.

In my experience, people gamble (and invest) in the exact opposite manner, assigning too high a probability to risky assets. If they did not, the equity markets would be much lower.



< Previous
  • 1
Next >
No positions in stocks mentioned.

The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.

Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

PrintPRINT
 
Featured Videos

WHAT'S POPULAR IN THE VILLE